This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In the second season of having its own Michelin Guide, Washington, DC, just added two more one-star restaurants — Komi and Métier. Its list of nine other one-star restaurants and three two-star restaurants remains intact, for a total of 14 starred restaurants in the nation’s capital and nearby areas. No DC restaurant, however, has yet cracked the Guide’s vaunted three-star category.
Komi — led by chef-owner Johnny Monis and his wife, Ann Marler — specializes in a Mediterranean tasting menu, while Métier — owned by chef Eric Ziebold and partner Célia Laurent — features locally sourced menu items. Métier’s downstairs neighbor, Kinship, was also awarded a single star last year. Both newly starred eateries are located in DC’s downtown area.
“Our inspectors have thoroughly enjoyed the progression and evolution demonstrated through consistency of the restaurant scene in DC,” said Michael Ellis, international director of the Michelin Guide. “Every restaurant recognized last year has maintained exceptional quality and steadiness.”
In addition to the stars and reviews, 22 restaurants were given “Bib Gourmand” rankings for being overall good places to eat. New to the list are Hazel, Ivy City Smokehouse and Sfloglina, joining last year’s winners — Bad Saint, Bidwell, Boqueria, Chercher, China Chilcano, Das, Doi Moi, Jaleo, Kyirisan, Lapis, Maketto, Ottoman Taverna, Oyamel, Pearl Dive Oyster Place, The Red Hen, Royal, Thip Kaho, 2 Amys and Zaytinya.
In the inaugural edition, Pineapple and Pearls (chef Aaron Silverman), Minibar (chef José Andrés) and Inn at Little Washington (chef Patrick O’Connell) won two-star recognition. In addition to Kinship, other one-star awards winners last year that are keeping their star include Rose’s Luxury, The Dabney, Blue Duck Tavern, Plume, Tail Up Goat, Masseria, Fiola and Sushi Taro.
Michelin provides the following explanation of what its stars mean: One star is for “high quality cooking, worth a stop,” two stars mean “excellent cuisine, worth a detour” and three stars mean “excellent cuisine, worth a special journey.” Starred restaurants for the other three 2018 US Michelin Guides — New York, Chicago and San Francisco — will be announced soon. The DC Guide goes on sale Friday October 20 for a suggested retail price of $12.95.
Where are your favorite places to eat in DC? Tell us about them, below.
Featured image by Métier / Facebook.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees