Michelin Elevates Chicago’s Smyth Restaurant to Two Stars
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Chicago now has a total of 25 Michelin Guide stars thanks to its two three-star restaurants, four two-star establishments and 19 one-star eateries. There were no additional three-stars added to the 2018 city guide when it was introduced Friday afternoon, so the biggest news was the elevation of Smyth, located in Chicago’s West Loop district, to the two-star category.
Smyth is owned by the husband-and-wife team of John Shields and Karen Urie Shields and is located upstairs from their partner restaurant, The Loyalist. Michael Ellis, international director of the Michelin Guide, cited them for having worked in the best restaurants across the country, adding, “But what they built in their own kitchen is even more remarkable.”
Smyth joins Acadia, Oriole and Sixteen as two-star establishments, with the city’s two three-star restaurants, Alinea and Grace, keeping their hold on the top perch. Two restaurants, Elske and Entente, joined the 17 one-star holdovers from last year’s guide. The Michelin inspectors also gave 54 restaurants — eight of them new to the list — its popular Bib Gourmand award for providing quality food at reasonable prices. In the Michelin hierarchy, three stars represent “exceptional cuisine, worth a special journey,” while two stars denote “excellent cuisine, worth a detour” and one star means “high quality cooking, worth a stop.”
Michelin annually publishes three other American city guides in addition to Chicago. The Washington, DC winners were announced earlier this week, while the New York list will be released Oct. 30. The announcement of the San Francisco region’s starred restaurants was delayed due to the area’s wildfire crisis, but will be rescheduled for the end of the month. The 2018 Michelin Guide for Chicago goes on sale Oct. 26 at a suggested retail price of $18.99.
Where are your favorite places to eat in Chicago? Tell us about them, below.
Featured image courtesy of Smyth.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees