Fires Rip Through Northern California, Causing Massive Damage and Evacuations
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Multiple fires ripped their way across several North Bay counties in California early Monday morning, leaving devastation in their paths. Hundreds of homes and businesses were destroyed in the early hours of Monday morning, forcing thousands of people in the area to evacuate as the fires continued their push.
Driven by powerful winds and dry conditions, the fires have forced emergency services to shut down major roadways in the area and thousands of people to evacuate. The fires, which began around 10:00pm Sunday, have caused damage in four North Bay counties: Napa, Sonoma, Lake and Mendocino.
Calls are overwhelming our 911 center due to Napa Co. 🔥 & winds are pushing smoke into Marin. Please call 911 only if you see 🔥 near your 🏘
— Marin County Sheriff (@MarinSheriff) October 9, 2017
The smoke from the fires has spread has far south as the Bay Area. TPG himself is staying in San Francisco and was woken up to the smell of smoke. One TPG reader reported that he was staying at the Carneros Resort & Spa in Napa and was woken up at 2:00am by hotel staff banging on doors, ordering guests to evacuate. We reached out for further information but have yet to hear back.
— ABC7 News (@abc7newsbayarea) October 9, 2017
Much of Santa Rosa was under evacuation order as of Monday morning.
“People are running red lights, there is chaos ensuing,” said Ron Dodds, a Santa Rosa resident, to KTVU. “It’s a scary time. It looks like Armageddon.”
— Steve Silberman (@stevesilberman) October 9, 2017
The two largest fires are Alas Peak, which is near the city of Napa, and Tubbs Fire, which is engulfing area from Calistoga to Santa Rosa in Sonoma County. The latter fire is spread across 20,000 acres, according to the Santa Rosa Fire Department.
#GOES16 satellite update: around 3 am Monday morning. Satellite continues to show multiple wild fires across the North Bay, and a new fire start has been detected just to the east of Cloverdale. Strong and gusty northeast winds will continue through at least mid morning. #cawx pic.twitter.com/jufkkU38wZ
— NWS Bay Area (@NWSBayArea) October 9, 2017
The cause of the fires is still under investigation. At this point, there’s no estimate on the extent of the damage or injuries.
Featured image by Josh Edelson / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.