Fires Rip Through Northern California, Causing Massive Damage and Evacuations
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Multiple fires ripped their way across several North Bay counties in California early Monday morning, leaving devastation in their paths. Hundreds of homes and businesses were destroyed in the early hours of Monday morning, forcing thousands of people in the area to evacuate as the fires continued their push.
Driven by powerful winds and dry conditions, the fires have forced emergency services to shut down major roadways in the area and thousands of people to evacuate. The fires, which began around 10:00pm Sunday, have caused damage in four North Bay counties: Napa, Sonoma, Lake and Mendocino.
Calls are overwhelming our 911 center due to Napa Co. ? & winds are pushing smoke into Marin. Please call 911 only if you see ? near your ?
— Marin County Sheriff (@MarinSheriff) October 9, 2017
The smoke from the fires has spread has far south as the Bay Area. TPG himself is staying in San Francisco and was woken up to the smell of smoke. One TPG reader reported that he was staying at the Carneros Resort & Spa in Napa and was woken up at 2:00am by hotel staff banging on doors, ordering guests to evacuate. We reached out for further information but have yet to hear back.
— ABC7 News (@abc7newsbayarea) October 9, 2017
Much of Santa Rosa was under evacuation order as of Monday morning.
“People are running red lights, there is chaos ensuing,” said Ron Dodds, a Santa Rosa resident, to KTVU. “It’s a scary time. It looks like Armageddon.”
— Steve Silberman (@stevesilberman) October 9, 2017
The two largest fires are Alas Peak, which is near the city of Napa, and Tubbs Fire, which is engulfing area from Calistoga to Santa Rosa in Sonoma County. The latter fire is spread across 20,000 acres, according to the Santa Rosa Fire Department.
#GOES16 satellite update: around 3 am Monday morning. Satellite continues to show multiple wild fires across the North Bay, and a new fire start has been detected just to the east of Cloverdale. Strong and gusty northeast winds will continue through at least mid morning. #cawx pic.twitter.com/jufkkU38wZ
— NWS Bay Area (@NWSBayArea) October 9, 2017
The cause of the fires is still under investigation. At this point, there’s no estimate on the extent of the damage or injuries.
Featured image by Josh Edelson / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees