Michelin Guide Elevates San Francisco’s Coi to 3-Star Status
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Michelin Guide has upgraded San Francisco’s Coi restaurant in North Beach to three-star status, the guide’s highest ranking, giving the city and the surrounding region a total of seven. Two other restaurants also achieved two-star status — Californios in the Mission district and SingleThread in Sonoma County — bringing it up to seven restaurants in that category as well. The one-star category now has 41 honorees, including first-time winners In Situ, Kenzo and Kinjo, making it a total of 55 stars awarded.
The awards, originally scheduled for announcement on October 12, were postponed until today due to the area’s deadly wildfires. Michael Ellis, international director of Michelin Guide, said his inspectors had been following the career of Coi’s chef, Matthew Kirkley, since his days at L20 restaurant in Chicago. Kirkley was cited for his “personal culinary expression, masterfully leading the kitchen at his modern seafood restaurant.”
Holdovers in the three-star category are Benu, The French Laundry, Manresa, Quince, The Restaurant at Meadowood and Saison. Repeating with two stars are Acquerello, Atelier Crenn, Baume, Commis and Lazy Bear. The Michelin inspectors also gave 67 restaurants — four new to the list — its popular Bib Gourmand award for providing quality food at reasonable prices. In the Michelin hierarchy, three stars represent “exceptional cuisine,” worth a special journey, while two stars denote “excellent cuisine, worth a detour” and one star means “high quality, worth a stop.”
Michelin has three American guides in addition to this one for San Francisco. The new stars for Washington, D.C. and Chicago were recently announced, while the New York winners will be revealed Oct. 30. The San Francisco Michelin Guide goes on sale October 27, for $18.99.
Featured image courtesy of Coi.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees