Michelin Guide Elevates San Francisco’s Coi to 3-Star Status
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Michelin Guide has upgraded San Francisco’s Coi restaurant in North Beach to three-star status, the guide’s highest ranking, giving the city and the surrounding region a total of seven. Two other restaurants also achieved two-star status — Californios in the Mission district and SingleThread in Sonoma County — bringing it up to seven restaurants in that category as well. The one-star category now has 41 honorees, including first-time winners In Situ, Kenzo and Kinjo, making it a total of 55 stars awarded.
The awards, originally scheduled for announcement on October 12, were postponed until today due to the area’s deadly wildfires. Michael Ellis, international director of Michelin Guide, said his inspectors had been following the career of Coi’s chef, Matthew Kirkley, since his days at L20 restaurant in Chicago. Kirkley was cited for his “personal culinary expression, masterfully leading the kitchen at his modern seafood restaurant.”
Holdovers in the three-star category are Benu, The French Laundry, Manresa, Quince, The Restaurant at Meadowood and Saison. Repeating with two stars are Acquerello, Atelier Crenn, Baume, Commis and Lazy Bear. The Michelin inspectors also gave 67 restaurants — four new to the list — its popular Bib Gourmand award for providing quality food at reasonable prices. In the Michelin hierarchy, three stars represent “exceptional cuisine,” worth a special journey, while two stars denote “excellent cuisine, worth a detour” and one star means “high quality, worth a stop.”
Michelin has three American guides in addition to this one for San Francisco. The new stars for Washington, D.C. and Chicago were recently announced, while the New York winners will be revealed Oct. 30. The San Francisco Michelin Guide goes on sale October 27, for $18.99.
Featured image courtesy of Coi.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.