The European lounge that your American Express Platinum Card will get you into that a Priority Pass won’t
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Platinum Card® from American Express and The Business Platinum Card® from American Express both come with a Priority Pass membership, which gives you access to more than 1,000 airport lounges worldwide — including some of our favorites in Europe.
The cards also come with access to Centurion lounges, mostly in the United States, with the first European Centurion lounge to open at Heathrow Terminal 3 early next year. Without any Centurion lounges in Europe currently, you might think your lounge options are limited to those that are Priority Pass. While some of these lounges are certainly nice, some have pretty basic food and beverage options, akin to something you would find in a budget hotel buffet.
But there’s a special arrangement at Stockholm’s Arlanda Airport (ARN) if you have a Platinum Card from American Express. Awarded Swedish restaurateur Pontus Frithiof has created a restaurant venue in the airport called “Pontus in the Air.” This is the largest dining area at Arlanda Airport and includes a special lounge for American Express. This is neither a member of Priority Pass nor a designated Centurion Lounge, but rather a specially branded American Express lounge. There are a handful of special Amex lounges around the world, including:
- Stockholm, Sweden (ARN) — American Express Lounge by Pontus
- Mumbai, India (BOM) — American Express Lounge
- Delhi, India (DEL) — American Express Lounge
- Buenos Aires, Argentina (EZE) — The Centurion Lounge
- Sao Paulo, Brazil (GRU) — American Express Lounge
- Melbourne, Australia (MEL) — American Express Lounge
- Mexico City, Mexico (MEX) — three Centurion Clubs
- Monterrey, Mexico (MTY) — two Centurion Clubs
- Sydney, Australia (SYD) — American Express Lounge
- Toluca, Mexico (TLC) — Centurion Club
What makes the Pontus lounge special compared with standard Priority Pass lounges in the same airport is that it serves complimentary, made-to-order, a la carte food designed by the renown chefs. Here is the current menu for the lounge.
With your Platinum card, you will receive access to the Pontus lounge at Arlanda Airport with a same-day onward boarding pass on any airline, plus complimentary access for one guest. The lounge is located in Terminal 5 where most international flights depart from, just after security, near Gate 4. This lounge does not admit Priority Pass members.
Featured photo courtesy Pontus Frithiof.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.