Stretch your miles: the complete guide to airline coronavirus promotions
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As travel starts to slowly ramp back up, airlines are offering lucrative mileage earning and redemptions promotions to entice travelers to book post-coronavirus travel. These promotions offer more ways for travelers to bulk up their mileage balances, accelerate elite status earning, and redeem awards at lower rates.
We’ll give you a look at all the currently available coronavirus promotions offered by airlines in the U.S. and abroad. We’re expecting airlines to offer even more of these promotions in the future, so bookmark this page and check back often for more updates.
One thing you won’t find here is elite status extensions — check out our full coronavirus guides to airline status for more information.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Aeroplan recently announced a new partnership with Uber Eats, where it will award 2x Aeroplan miles per dollar spent on all Uber Eats purchases made in the U.S. and Canada. To earn miles with this promotion, click through the Uber Eats portal on the Aeroplan website before you order delivery.
There is no expiration date set for this promotion, so we’re hoping that it continues even after the coronavirus outbreak is contained.
Alaska Airlines is offering a 50% bonus on elite qualifying miles on all flights through the end of the year. Simply book a ticket with Alaska and you’ll see the bonus elite miles in your account after completing the flight.
This promotion runs through Dec. 31, 2020 and includes flights booked before the promotion was announced. Unfortunately, the promotion does not include flights booked on partner airlines.
All miles earned with an American Airlines cobranded credit card count towards Million Miler status until the end of the year. This is a great way to earn lifetime AAdvantage elite status even if you’re not in the sky.
Like American Airlines, Southwest is offering double points on flights flown by Aug. 31, 2020. You can enroll in this promotion on Southwest’s website and the bonus points will be automatically credited to your account after your flight is completed.
You can earn double points on flights booked before registering for the promotion, but you must enroll by the time your flight departs.
While not necessarily a promotion, Qatar Airways is offering a handful of exciting change options to those set to fly on a Qatar Airways ticket. Between now and Dec. 31, 2020, you have three options when changing a Qatar Airways flight:
- You can exchange your refund for Qmiles at a rate of 1 mile per $0.01.
- Change your flight’s destination to anywhere within 5,000 miles of your original destination free of charge
- Change the dates of your flight free of charge
- If your flight is involuntarily disrupted, you can cancel your ticket and receive a 10% bonus when the refund is issued as a travel voucher
This policy change gives Qatar travelers the utmost flexibility when it comes to changing or canceling flights — something that’s especially important during these uncertain times. It’s great to see Qatar Airways sweetening the deal with a bonus on travel vouchers, the ability to refund to miles, and free destination changes.
It’s great to see airlines offer these promotions to their loyal customers. These promotions will help travelers get back in the sky, all while helping them earn valuable awards that can help fuel future travel.
We’re expecting airlines to announce more promotions over the summer, and we’ll keep updating this page accordingly. Bookmark this page and check back soon for more promotions.
Feature photo by Scott Varley/Digital First Media/Torrance Daily Breeze via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.