Southwest Airlines promotion: Earn double the points on summer flights from $49 one-way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: At TPG, we paused traveling to help slow the spread of COVID-19. Local and federal governments around the globe are now debating the appropriate levels of isolation and distancing. Before booking that next trip, we recommend you talk to your doctor, follow health officials’ guidance and research local travel restrictions. TPG is continuing to publish deals, reviews and general travel news to inform and prepare you for that trip, whether it is next month or next year.
Southwest Airlines has launched a new promotion where it will award summer travelers twice the Rapid Rewards per flight booked now through Aug. 31, 2020. The best part? Fares start at a low of $49 one-way.
Here’s a look at some of the deals:
Denver (DEN) to Salt Lake City (SLC) for $49 one-way:
Boise (BOI) to Sacramento (SMF) for $49 one-way: Atlanta (ATL) to Tampa (TPA) for $49 one-way: Albuquerque (ABQ) to Phoenix (PHX) for $49 one-way:
Rapid Rewards-earned points are calculated using base fare, so members will earn the following:
- 12 bonus points per dollar spent on Business Select® fares
- 10 bonus points per dollar spent on Anytime fares
- 6 bonus points per dollar spent on Wanna Get Away® fares
Bonus points are in addition to the standard flight points earned through Rapid Rewards, but they will not count toward A-List, A-List Preferred or Companion Pass qualification. However, the double earning is unlimited in this promotion.
You can register for this promotion on Southwest’s website now through Aug. 31.
Related: Airline social distancing policies
If you’re not sure you’ll feel comfortable enough to fly again this summer, you can book with confidence knowing that Southwest has always had a flexible change and cancellation policy. You can easily delay your trip at no extra cost beyond the ticket price or cancel it altogether and use the funds towards a future trip. If anything, booking a potential summer trip is something positive to look forward to amidst all this uncertainty.
For more travel tips and news, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Should you take advantage of this promotion?
If you’re already planning to book post-coronavirus travel with Southwest, you should definitely register for this promotion. TPG values Southwest miles at 1.5 cents per point, so you’ll earn $7 worth of miles per one-way flight and $14 per round-trip flight.
On the other hand, we don’t recommend booking travel now just to earn bonus miles. While you can always cancel and change Southwest flights fee-free, the airline isn’t offering cash refunds on these tickets. Canceling a ticket will only result in future flight credit.
Keep in mind that holding this flight credit can be risky even if you’re a Southwest loyalist. Like much of the travel industry, Southwest isn’t in the best financial position right now. It has been forced to slash capacity and request a government bailout in response to the coronavirus-fueled travel downturn. If the airline went belly-up, you could be left with worthless travel credit and no way to get a refund.
Further, we’re still not sure when it will be safe to travel again. If the coronavirus outbreak isn’t contained quickly, you could be stuck with this credit for a long time.
It’s nice to see Southwest offer bonus points for booking future travel. The summer still may be too soon to fly, but things are changing on a daily basis, so we’ll have to wait and see.
We don’t recommend booking travel now solely to earn bonus miles. If earning miles is your goal, check out our complete guide to earning Southwest Rapid Rewards for less risky ways to do it.
Featured photo by Alex Tai/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees