Today only: Book United flights from just 8,000 miles round-trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year). Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Following its 4 million-mile giveaway, which launched earlier this week, United is continuing to celebrate 40 years of MileagePlus with a global award sale! Today only, you can book domestic flights from just 8,000 miles round-trip, while international trips can be had for 40,000 miles round-trip.
Many shorter routes are eligible for the discounted rate — transcon flights are excluded, but a handful of longer flights did make the cut. Check out this page to see all of the eligible routes.
You need to book a round-trip in order to take advantage of the lower rates — in many cases, you’ll find that a discounted round-trip can be had for less than the regular cost of a one-way saver award.
International flights are considerably more expensive, but the discounts can still be significant, depending on the route.
San Francisco (SFO) to Tahiti (PPT) will normally run you 70,000 miles round-trip, for example, representing a discount of more than 40%. Connecting awards will price at the lower rate as well, as long as there’s availability in the X or XN fare class.
In order to take advantage of the sale rates, you’ll need to book Thursday (May 6) and fly between June 1 and August 31, 2021. Discounts are only available for coach awards on flights operated by United, United Express and select partner codeshares.
If you don’t already have miles in your account, you might want to consider a transfer from Chase Ultimate Rewards — miles post instantly, in our experience, but there’s always the chance of a transfer delay, in which case you may not have the miles in your United account in time to take advantage of this sale.
You’ll also want to compare fares before you decide to book an award — TPG values MileagePlus miles at 1.3 cents apiece, but it’s easy to get much more value out of your miles than that. With redemption rates so low, you’ll be hard-pressed to find a better deal with cash, but it’s always worth a quick search just in case.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees