Nominate a ‘healthcare hero’ to win 1,000,000 United miles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s been an incredibly challenging year for so many people, but there’s no question that healthcare workers have had to bear the brunt of the COVID-19 pandemic. Fortunately, at least four of them will soon have enough miles to book a very special trip.
In celebration of 40 years of the MileagePlus program, United Airlines is giving away 1,000,000 miles to four lucky “essential healthcare workers.” U.S. residents age 18 or older can suggest an eligible nominee at United’s dedicated site between now and 11:59 p.m. Central Time on May 17, 2021.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
In addition to the nominee’s name, you must also provide an “essay” of up to 150 words, which, according to the terms and conditions, United can then publish in any way it sees fit, along with a photo, if you choose to attach one to the nomination.
The four winners will receive 1,000,000 miles each, valued at $20,000, plus a check for $7,750, presumably to help cover potential federal, state and local taxes. As United explains:
“Winners will be responsible for all taxes (federal, state and local of all applicable jurisdictions) and all expenses not listed herein related to acceptance and use of any prize. If required by law, an IRS 1099-MISC Form will be prepared in the Winner’s name and submitted to the IRS for the value of the Winner’s prize. Sponsor will cause a copy of any submitted 1099-MISC Form to be sent to Winner’s last known address.”
Fortunately, United is defining “essential healthcare worker” broadly as part of this contest. Winners may include nurses and physicians, of course, but also many categories of support staff, including individuals who provide laundry and food services, people who work at companies that manufacture personal protective equipment (PPE), and many others, as outlined here.
Not eligible for United’s latest giveaway? Through May 9, 2021, you can enter to win 1,000,000 MileagePlus miles through TPG’s partnership with Prizeo as well. Head to this page for all of the details!
Featured photo by Zach Honig/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.