Deal Alert: United Offering 35% off Economy Plus in June
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United’s 50% off Economy Plus sale from March must have been a hit. The carrier is back with another discounted run, though this time you’ll save a bit less, with a 35% discount on Economy Plus upgrades.
To take advantage of this latest sale, you’ll need to process your upgrade between today and 11:59pm CT on Monday, May 27. The discount is available for departures on any date next month, running from June 1 through June 30.
Other than those date restrictions, this sale is pretty straightforward. You don’t need to enter a promo code — the price you see should reflect the 35% discount. Note that all United and United Express flights are eligible, though basic economy tickets are excluded, since those aren’t eligible for Economy Plus.
Your savings will vary depending on the route, of course. For example, on one of United’s longest flights, from Newark (EWR) to Hong Kong (HKG), I can purchase a prime exit-row seat for $189 — not bad for a ton of extra comfort on a 16-hour flight.
After the sale, that same seat jumps back to the regular price of $294.
As a reminder, if United is listed as your carrier of choice with an American Express card that offers an airline fee credit, you can use that statement credit to cover these discounted upgrades. The following cards award annual airline fee credits:
- Hilton Honors Aspire Card from American Express (up to $250)
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express (up to $200)
- The Platinum Card® from American Express (up to $200)
It’s worth pointing out that this sale could potentially increase the demand for Economy Plus during the month of June, so if you’re a United elite who usually gets to select these extra-legroom seats for free, you might want to make your pick sooner than later.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.