Deal Alert: United Offering 35% off Economy Plus in June
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
United’s 50% off Economy Plus sale from March must have been a hit. The carrier is back with another discounted run, though this time you’ll save a bit less, with a 35% discount on Economy Plus upgrades.
To take advantage of this latest sale, you’ll need to process your upgrade between today and 11:59pm CT on Monday, May 27. The discount is available for departures on any date next month, running from June 1 through June 30.
Other than those date restrictions, this sale is pretty straightforward. You don’t need to enter a promo code — the price you see should reflect the 35% discount. Note that all United and United Express flights are eligible, though basic economy tickets are excluded, since those aren’t eligible for Economy Plus.
Your savings will vary depending on the route, of course. For example, on one of United’s longest flights, from Newark (EWR) to Hong Kong (HKG), I can purchase a prime exit-row seat for $189 — not bad for a ton of extra comfort on a 16-hour flight.
After the sale, that same seat jumps back to the regular price of $294.
As a reminder, if United is listed as your carrier of choice with an American Express card that offers an airline fee credit, you can use that statement credit to cover these discounted upgrades. The following cards award annual airline fee credits: (Enrollment required for select benefits.)
- Hilton Honors Aspire Card from American Express (up to $250)
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express (up to $200)
- The Platinum Card® from American Express (up to $200)
The information for the Hilton Aspire Amex card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
It’s worth pointing out that this sale could potentially increase the demand for Economy Plus during the month of June, so if you’re a United elite who usually gets to select these extra-legroom seats for free, you might want to make your pick sooner than later.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees