Deal Alert: United Offering 50% Off Economy Plus Upgrades
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For the latest travel news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for The Points Guy’s daily newsletter here!
Some would argue that United’s Economy Plus is what Economy should be, offering several more inches of legroom (exact amounts differ slightly per aircraft type) and the ability to deplane a bit faster given the forward placement of the seats. If you’ve been looking for a cheaper way to avoid standard economy seating, United is offering half off of Economy Plus purchases for this weekend only.
To take advantage of the 50% off sale, you’ll need to book a flight in United Economy departing between March 18 and March 31, 2019, or already have a flight booked in Economy within that timeframe. You’ll then be able to select your flight reservation and choose an Economy Plus seat. It’ll price at 50% off of the normal rate, no promo code required.
Previously purchased Economy Plus upgrades are not eligible for this promotion, and the offer is not valid on Basic Economy tickets. United and United Express flights are included, though you must complete the Economy Plus upgrade purchase at least 24 hours in advance of departure and no later than 11:59pm CDT on March 17, 2019.
If you selected United as your carrier of choice with an American Express card that offers an airline fee credit, the discounted upgrade would be an excellent use of that. As a reminder, the following cards award annual airline fee credits (terms apply, enrollment required).
- Hilton Honors Aspire Card from American Express (up to $250)
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express (up to $200)
- The Platinum Card® from American Express (up to $200)
The information for the Hilton Aspire Amex card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Unfortunately, this offer does not include Premium Plus, United’s version of international premium economy. For United elites who have grown accustomed to complimentary upgrades into Economy Plus, you may see a decline in those upgrades during this promotional period if the general public buys them up before they’re offered gratis.
Featured image by Zach Honig / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees