Deal Alert: United Offering 50% Off Economy Plus Upgrades
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
For the latest travel news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for The Points Guy’s daily newsletter here!
Some would argue that United’s Economy Plus is what Economy should be, offering several more inches of legroom (exact amounts differ slightly per aircraft type) and the ability to deplane a bit faster given the forward placement of the seats. If you’ve been looking for a cheaper way to avoid standard economy seating, United is offering half off of Economy Plus purchases for this weekend only.
To take advantage of the 50% off sale, you’ll need to book a flight in United Economy departing between March 18 and March 31, 2019, or already have a flight booked in Economy within that timeframe. You’ll then be able to select your flight reservation and choose an Economy Plus seat. It’ll price at 50% off of the normal rate, no promo code required.
Previously purchased Economy Plus upgrades are not eligible for this promotion, and the offer is not valid on Basic Economy tickets. United and United Express flights are included, though you must complete the Economy Plus upgrade purchase at least 24 hours in advance of departure and no later than 11:59pm CDT on March 17, 2019.
If you selected United as your carrier of choice with an American Express card that offers an airline fee credit, the discounted upgrade would be an excellent use of that. As a reminder, the following cards award annual airline fee statement credits (terms apply, enrollment required).
- Hilton Honors Aspire Card from American Express (up to $250)
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express (up to $200)
- The Platinum Card® from American Express (up to $200)
The information for the Hilton Aspire Amex card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Unfortunately, this offer does not include Premium Plus, United’s version of international premium economy. For United elites who have grown accustomed to complimentary upgrades into Economy Plus, you may see a decline in those upgrades during this promotional period if the general public buys them up before they’re offered gratis.
Featured image by Zach Honig / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.