Southwest Airlines offering flights to Hawaii from $99 or 6,864 points into 2021
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year). Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
We know your 2020 Hawaii trip probably didn’t work out as planned — neither did ours. And while Hawaii remains closed to tourists with a mandatory 14-day quarantine upon arrival and spiking COVID cases on some islands, we haven’t given up hope that 2021 may bring with it the opportunity for some safe leisure travel to the Hawaiian Islands.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
With that hope for the future in mind, know that Southwest Airlines is offering flights to Hawaii for dates into April 2021 from just $99 or 6,864 Rapid Rewards points each way. And of course, if you have the Southwest Companion Pass, then two people can fly for that price, plus minimal taxes and fees.
While the cheapest fares are typically found on the nonstop flights between California and Hawaii, connecting flights from other mainland states start at about $163 or 11,544 points each way.
Should I book travel now?
Sadly, our crystal ball is a bit cloudy at the moment, so we won’t be able to tell you when Hawaii will reopen for tourism without a mandatory 14-day quarantine.
Even when the state does logistically reopen, there’s certainly a level of risk if you’re booking travel now, even if your flights are scheduled for several months out as there’s no guarantee when it will be 100% safe to travel again. The CDC states that, “staying home is the best way to protect yourself and others from getting sick.”
All that being said, Southwest Airlines is very lenient when it comes to rebooking travel.
If your plans change, you can redeposit your Rapid Rewards points without penalty. If you booked your reservations with cash and need to change your plans, you can use that amount toward future travel for up to one year from the date of purchase. Alternatively, Southwest is also giving travelers the opportunity to convert unused travel funds to Rapid Rewards points.
Southwest Airlines deals currently available
Airlines: Southwest Airlines
Routes: Mainland to Hawaii
Cost: From $99 each way
Travel Dates: Select dates until April 2021
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline; starting Jan. 1, 2021 earn 5x points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare booked directly with the airline or ) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
The information for the Citi Prestige card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
You can also pay with a Southwest Airlines co-branded credit card, though that isn’t always the best option from a points-earning perspective. The highest-earning rate for Southwest flights via a Southwest credit card comes from the Southwest Rapid Rewards Performance Business Credit Card, which awards 3x Rapid Rewards points per dollar spent on Southwest airfare.
Here’s a look at some of the best deals you could book. This isn’t an exhaustive list, so you’ll be able to find deals between other cities as well.
Oakland (OAK) to Kona (KOA) for $99 or 6,864 Rapid Rewards points each way
San Diego (SAN) to Honolulu (HNL) for $99 or 6,864 Rapid Rewards points each way
San Jose (SJC) to Kona (KOA) for $99 or 6,864 Rapid Rewards points each way
How to book
To book these Southwest flights, you’ll need to head to Southwest Airline’s website. The airline’s “Low Fare” calendar is very handy if you are looking to quickly spot the cheapest fares.
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns bonus points or provides trip protections on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel), American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more tips on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image courtesy of Summer Hull
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.