Southwest Airlines offering flights to Hawaii from $99 or 6,864 points into 2021
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We know your 2020 Hawaii trip probably didn’t work out as planned — neither did ours. And while Hawaii remains closed to tourists with a mandatory 14-day quarantine upon arrival and spiking COVID cases on some islands, we haven’t given up hope that 2021 may bring with it the opportunity for some safe leisure travel to the Hawaiian Islands.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
With that hope for the future in mind, know that Southwest Airlines is offering flights to Hawaii for dates into April 2021 from just $99 or 6,864 Rapid Rewards points each way. And of course, if you have the Southwest Companion Pass, then two people can fly for that price, plus minimal taxes and fees.
While the cheapest fares are typically found on the nonstop flights between California and Hawaii, connecting flights from other mainland states start at about $163 or 11,544 points each way.
Should I book travel now?
Sadly, our crystal ball is a bit cloudy at the moment, so we won’t be able to tell you when Hawaii will reopen for tourism without a mandatory 14-day quarantine.
Even when the state does logistically reopen, there’s certainly a level of risk if you’re booking travel now, even if your flights are scheduled for several months out as there’s no guarantee when it will be 100% safe to travel again. The CDC states that, “staying home is the best way to protect yourself and others from getting sick.”
All that being said, Southwest Airlines is very lenient when it comes to rebooking travel.
If your plans change, you can redeposit your Rapid Rewards points without penalty. If you booked your reservations with cash and need to change your plans, you can use that amount toward future travel for up to one year from the date of purchase. Alternatively, Southwest is also giving travelers the opportunity to convert unused travel funds to Rapid Rewards points.
Southwest Airlines deals currently available
Airlines: Southwest Airlines
Routes: Mainland to Hawaii
Cost: From $99 each way
Travel Dates: Select dates until April 2021
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline; starting Jan. 1, 2021 earn 5x points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare booked directly with the airline or ) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
The information for the Citi Prestige card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
You can also pay with a Southwest Airlines co-branded credit card, though that isn’t always the best option from a points-earning perspective. The highest-earning rate for Southwest flights via a Southwest credit card comes from the Southwest Rapid Rewards Performance Business Credit Card, which awards 4x Rapid Rewards points per dollar spent on Southwest purchases.
Here’s a look at some of the best deals you could book. This isn’t an exhaustive list, so you’ll be able to find deals between other cities as well.
Oakland (OAK) to Kona (KOA) for $99 or 6,864 Rapid Rewards points each way
San Diego (SAN) to Honolulu (HNL) for $99 or 6,864 Rapid Rewards points each way
San Jose (SJC) to Kona (KOA) for $99 or 6,864 Rapid Rewards points each way
How to book
To book these Southwest flights, you’ll need to head to Southwest Airline’s website. The airline’s “Low Fare” calendar is very handy if you are looking to quickly spot the cheapest fares.
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns bonus points or provides trip protections on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel), American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more tips on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image courtesy of Summer Hull
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees