Delta flash sale: Flights to beach destinations from 2.5k miles in economy, 10k in first class
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you live in Seattle and need an escape from the Pacific Northwest weather, listen up.
Delta is back with another one of its flash sales, this time discounting award flights from Seattle (SEA) to several sunny vacation destinations, including Cancun (CUN), Honolulu (HNL), Maui (OGG), Kona (KOA), Los Cabos (SJD), Puerto Vallarta (PVR), Los Angeles (LAX), Tampa (TPA) and more.
The awards start at just 2,500 SkyMiles one-way for basic economy and 10,000 miles for first class. TPG values Delta SkyMiles at 1.1 cents per point, so you’d effectively be paying $27.50 for coach or $110 for first class, which is terrific. Even if you don’t live in Seattle, it could be worth booking a positioning flight to take advantage of these deals at such low prices.
Although Delta says that many of these fares are only valid for travel through the end of March, we’re seeing them available through May. Regardless, you’ll want to act quickly because there’s no telling how long this availability will be around. Depending on the route, you may need to book round-trip to unlock the lowest price.
Keep in mind that Delta is blocking all economy middle seats through at least April 30, 2021. Additionally, all award bookings made through March 30, 2021, including basic economy fares, can be changed or canceled fee-free.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Routes: SEA to/from CUN/FLL/HNL/KOA/LAX/OGG/PVR/SAN/SJC/SJD/MCO/TPA
Cost: 2,500+ SkyMiles one-way in basic economy / 10,000+ SkyMiles in first class + taxes and fees
Dates: February – May 2021
Pay Taxes/Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline; on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel) for travel protections on the award flight.
Flights to Mexico from 5,000 miles round-trip
The lowest rates available are for flights to Mexico. You can book nonstop flights from Seattle to Cancun (CUN), Los Cabos (SJD) and Puerto Vallarta (PVR) from 2,500 miles in basic economy or 10,000 miles in first class.
Regardless of which of the cities you fly into, you can expect to pay around $40 in taxes and fees each way.
Flights to California from 6,000 miles-roundtrip
If you’d rather stay within the U.S., you can fly to California from 3,000 miles one-way in basic economy or 12,000 miles in first class, plus about $6 in taxes each way. The low fares are available to cities like Los Angeles (LAX), San Jose (SJC) and San Diego (SAN). If you’re strategic about picking your flights, you may even be able to fly in a lie-flat seat.
Flights to Florida from 10,000 miles round-trip
Alternatively, you could fly to Florida for just a thousand more miles each way. Flights to Tampa (TPA), Orlando (MCO), and Fort Lauderdale (FLL) are currently available from 5,000 miles one-way in basic economy.
Flights to Hawaii from 10,000 miles round-trip
Perhaps the most exciting part of this sale is the Hawaii deals. You can book nonstop flights to Honolulu (HNL), Maui (OGG) and Kona (KOA) from just 10,000 miles round-trip, plus about $12 in taxes. As you can tell from the calendar below, these rates are widely available.
The only thing to be aware of is that this rate is only available for round-trip bookings. One-way bookings are pricing significantly higher.
To give you a better idea of how good of a deal this is, the cash rate for some of these flights can be around $400 round-trip, so you’d be getting about four cents in value per Delta SkyMile.
Boosting your SkyMiles balance
While you couldn’t earn a welcome bonus in time to boost your balance for this wave of deals, you may consider adding a card now in anticipation of flash sales to come. There are various ways to earn Delta miles, from Delta-operated flights to trips on SkyTeam airlines to various non-travel partners. However, one of the best ways to boost your SkyMiles balance to score a few free trips is by adding one of these cards to your arsenal:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express ($695 annual fee; See Rates & Fees);100,000-point welcome bonus after you use your new card to make $6,000 in purchases in your first six months of account opening, though be sure to check the CardMatch Tool to see if you’re targeted for a 125,000-point after meeting minimum spend requirements (offer subject to change at any time). You can transfer Membership Rewards points directly to Delta SkyMiles.
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express ($595 annual fee; $695 if application received on or after 1/13/2022; See Rates & Fees); Earn 120,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Platinum Card within the first three months of card membership. Terms Apply.
- Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card ($0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then, $99 see rates and fees); Earn 70,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card ($250 annual fee; see rates and fees); Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021
- Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card ($550 annual fee; see rates and fees); Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021
- Delta SkyMiles® Blue American Express Card ($0 annual fee; see rates and fees); Earn 10,000 miles after you spend $500 on purchases in the first three months of account opening.
Maximize your purchase
When paying the taxes and fees on your award ticket, be sure to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases and offers travel protection if anything goes wrong. Cards that fit the bill include The Platinum Card® from American Express, Chase Sapphire Reserve, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card.
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum Card, click here.
For rates and fees of the Amex Business Platinum Card, click here.
For rates and fees of the Delta SkyMiles Blue Card, click here.
For rates and fees of the Delta SkyMiles Gold Card, please click here.
For rates and fees of the Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card, please click here.
For rates and fees of the Delta SkyMiles Reserve Card, please click here.
Screenshots courtesy of Delta.
Featured photo by Madison Blancaflor/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees