Act fast for this Delta deal: Fly to Europe in business class for 148,000 SkyMiles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Calling all Delta loyalists: The airline is running a SkyMiles sale on Delta One business-class seats to much of Europe through May for as little as 148,000 miles round-trip, depending on the route.
From Dec. 7-9, use SkyMiles to book Delta One award sale fares to various European destinations, including London, Amsterdam, Paris, Dublin and Madrid, for travel starting Jan. 10 through May 7, 2022.
And read on to find out how you might be able to do even better.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Airlines: Delta and SkyTeam partners Air France and KLM.
Routes: CHS/ATL/MDW/ORD/DAL/DFW/DTW/HOU/IAH/JFK/LGA/EWR/SEA and others to AMS/LHR/DUB/MAD/FCO/ARN/LIS/MXP/CPH/ATH and others. The best availability is to AMS/BCN/MAD/CDG.
Cost: 148,000 SkyMiles round-trip.
How to book: Directly through the airline. If your dates are not set in stone, review Delta’s flexible dates and price calendars.
Travel dates: Jan. 10-May 7, 2022.
This wide-reaching deal includes connecting flights and nonstop routes departing from more than 150 U.S. cities to nearly all of Europe, including from:
- Austin, Texas (AUS).
- Baltimore (BWI).
- Boston (BOS).
- Bozeman, Montana (BZN).
- Charleston, South Carolina (CHS).
- Chicago (MDW/ORD).
- Columbus, Mississippi (GTR).
- Dallas (DAL/DFW).
- Des Moines (DSM).
- El Paso, Texas (ELP).
- Fresno, California (FAT).
- Houston (HOU/IAH).
- Kalamazoo, Michigan (AZO).
- Los Angeles (LAX).
- Madison, Wisconsin (MSN).
- Nashville (BNA).
- Salt Lake City (SLC).
- St. Louis (STL).
- Washington, D.C. (DCA/IAD).
- Wichita, Kansas (ICT).
Although not all departure cities will have availability to all cities at this price, some of the European destinations awaiting are:
- Amsterdam (AMS).
- Athens, Greece (ATH).
- Barcelona, Spain (BCN).
- Berlin (BER).
- Copenhagen, Denmark (CPH).
- Dublin (DUB).
- Florence, Italy (FLR).
- Istanbul (IST).
- London (LHR).
- Madrid (MAD).
- Munich (MUC).
- Paris (CDG).
- Prague (PRG).
- Rome (FCO).
- Stockholm (ARN).
- Zurich (ZRH).
To begin your search, visit Delta’s European sale link and be sure to select “Shop with Miles” and choose Delta One for the best fare type, as illustrated below.
Through this process, I found a nonstop, round-trip flight from New York City (JFK) to Amsterdam (AMS) the first week of February.
As you can see, this flight costs 148,000 miles total plus $65 in taxes and fees. Since this deal is for flights in Delta One, expect to enjoy all that business class has to offer, starting at the airport with complimentary Sky Club access and priority boarding. Onboard, enjoy full catering options and the ability to potentially sleep en route thanks to a lie-flat seat.
As mentioned, some of the sale routes include a layover. Although I generally prefer flying nonstop when possible, a layover in business class may make me reconsider.
Other ways to get deals on Delta flights
Don’t forget that you can occasionally do even better by searching for the same flights using partner programs.
Flying Blue is the loyalty program for both Air France and KLM, and it offers flyers the opportunity to redeem miles on SkyTeam partner flights, including Delta. You can use Flying Blue points to fly Delta by transferring American Express Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards, Citi Thank You points or Capital One miles to Flying Blue and booking Delta flights there.
In addition, you can also try booking through Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, where rates are usually cheaper than those listed for Delta SkyMiles, says TPG’s Benji Stawski — at least for nonstop itineraries.
For example, Delta is offering a trip in business class from New York-JFK to Milan for 148,000 Delta SkyMiles.
But that same exact flight is available through Virgin Atlantic for just 100,000 Flying Club points.
Flying Club is also a transfer partner of most major transferable points currencies, so it’s easy to rack up accumulate miles for these redemptions.
Finally, our friends at Thrifty Traveler Premium, which alerts members to cheap flights, award flight sales and business-class deals via email for $7.99 monthly or $49.99 annually, has another suggestion to lower the cost.
“Thrifty Tip #1: Fly Delta One to Europe and Delta Premium Select home for only 119k! Start by searching for Delta Premium Select but pick a Delta One fare for your first flight.”
Maximize your purchase
As always, don’t forget to use a card that earns bonus points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel).
Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Considering round-trip Delta One flights to Europe usually run between 325,000 and 500,000 SkyMiles, this is a great deal. Act fast and book this deal by midnight Dec. 9 for round-trip Delta One flights for travel January through May 7, 2022, with no blackout dates.
The majority of Europe is open to travelers with COVID-19 testing and related protocols in place. Be sure to double-check any entry rules of your desired destination by reading our country reopening guide here.
Featured photo of Rome by Alexander Spatari/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees