This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
TAP Portugal is running a sale pricing flights to Barcelona (BCN) and Madrid (MAD) for cheap. We’re seeing flights from New York (JFK), Newark (EWR) Boston (BOS), Miami (MIA), Philadelphia (PHL), Los Angeles (LAX), Chicago (ORD) and Washington DC (IAD) with prices starting at just $270 round-trip. And if you’re wanting to travel to these popular destinations during peak summer dates when prices are usually north of $800, you can find tickets for around $450.
American and Iberia have a handful of cheap flights, too. All three carriers are selling tickets in basic economy, so you’ll have to pay extra if you want to check a bag or select a seat.
For more on Barcelona and Madrid, check out our guides:
- Every Tourist in Madrid, Spain Makes the Same 12 Mistakes
- Your Points and Miles Guide to Madrid
- 8 Things to Know Before You Go to Barcelona, Spain
- Your Points and Miles Guide to Barcelona
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Airline: TAP Portugal, Iberia, American
Routes: JFK/EWR/BOS/MIA/LAX/PHL/ORD/IAD to BCN/MAD
Cost: $270+ round-trip in economy
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance), Citi Premier Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve Card, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (JFK) to Madrid (MAD) for $270 round-trip on TAP Portugal via Priceline:
New York (JFK) to Barcelona (BCN) for $329 round-trip on TAP Portugal via Priceline:
Miami (MIA) to Barcelona (BCN) for $339 round-trip on TAP Portugal via Priceline:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Barcelona (BCN) for $360 round-trip on Iberia:
Boston (BOS) to Barcelona (BCN) for $385 round-trip on TAP Portugal via Priceline:
Chicago (ORD) to Barcelona (BCN) for $389 round-trip on American/Iberia:
Philadelphia (PHL) to Barcelona (BCN) for $402 round-trip on Iberia/American :
Washington DC (IAD) to Barcelona (BCN) for $407 round-trip on TAP Portugal via Priceline:
Miami (MIA) to Barcelona (BCN) for $446 round-trip on TAP Portugal during peak summer:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on plus excellent trip delay insurance), Chase Sapphire Reserve Card, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
Featured image by Rory McDonald / Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees