Deal Alert: Business Class Flights to Europe During Summer From $1,299 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
With strong demand from travelers recently, business class deals to Europe are few and far between. Finding a sub-$2,000 business class deal — especially when avoiding premium economy-style products like Icelandair — can be especially elusive. But today we are seeing a few different options in true business class to Europe for under $2,000 round-trip, and many of these are even available during peak summer travel season.
The main deal that we’re going to focus on is from New York City to Berlin on British Airways. When you go to Google Flights, you’re going to see these flight options starting at $1,850 round-trip. However, after applying two discounts (AARP and Chase), you can book these same flights for as little as $1,539 round-trip.
While looking for other possibilities, we stumbled across a couple of other deals from other cities to Europe for under $2,000 round-trip in business class that we’ve added to the round-up — such as Newark (EWR) to Nice (NCE) and Paris (ORY) on La Compagnie.
It’s possible there are other routes outside of the ones listed, so if you see cheap British Airways business class fares, make sure to pay attention to the below section to save even more.
How to Book the British Airways Deal
To get the $1,539 round-trip business class rate, you’re going to need an AARP membership. The good news: anyone can pay just $16 per year to get this membership and save $200 per person per round-trip off business class flights from the US on British Airways — or up to $65 per person per round-trip off economy flights on BA. Here are the full details of how the discount works.
On top of that discount, you can save 10% off British Airways marketed and operated flights by applying the latest Chase Visa discount code at checkout.
For this deal, I’d recommend finding cheap dates that work for your schedule through Google Flights first. Since the flights must be operated by and marketed by British Airways, you’ll want to limit the airline to British Airways and select London as your connection airport. Here’s a link with these two filters selected to get your search started.
Once you have dates selected, you’ll need to start the booking on AARP’s British Airways discount page. Note that British Airways’ AARP discount page makes it seem like you’re only searching economy flights, but business class options will appear in the results.
Once you get through those annoyances, you can pick out flights. Again, make sure to select British Airways-operated flights to get both discounts. After selecting flights and clicking continue, you’ll need to click “Promotion code or eVoucher” and enter the discount code CHASEBA10 and click submit:
Despite only paying around $1,539, the flights from NYC to Berlin will earn the following when credited to American Airlines AAdvantage:
- Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM): 16,166
- Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD): 2,022
- Award miles: 10,108 — before elite bonuses
Airlines: La Compagnie, British Airways, Finnair
Routes: EWR/JFK/PHL/IAH/ATL to NCE/ORY/TXL/MAD/BLQ/MXP/MUC
Cost: $1,299+ round-trip in business class
Travel Dates: May to August 2019 (and beyond for fall travel)
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on plus trip delay insurance), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Newark (EWR) to Nice (NCE) for $1,299 round-trip nonstop in business on La Compagnie in June:
Newark (EWR) to Paris Orly (ORY) for $1,498 round-trip nonstop in business on La Compagnie in July:
New York Kennedy (JFK) to Berlin Tegel (TXL) for $1,539 round-trip in business class after AARP and Chase discounts in July:
New York Kennedy (JFK) to Madrid (MAD) for $1,720 round-trip nonstop in business class after AARP discount in August:
Philadelphia (PHL) to Bologna (BLQ) for $1,774 round-trip in business class after AARP and Chase discounts in June:
Houston Intercontinental (IAH) to Milan (MXP/LIN) for $1,866 round-trip in business class after AARP and Chase discounts in July:
Atlanta (ATL) to Munich (MUC) for $2,018 round-trip in business class after AARP and Chase discounts in July:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on plus trip delay insurance), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list//
Featured image via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn 10x points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you pay for eligible purchases with the Platinum Card® at your choice of one or more of the following providers: Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- New! American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. Now there are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on select Equinox memberships. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- $695 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees