Deal alert: Fly business to Ireland from $1,409 round-trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
Business class fares from New York City area airports (JFK/EWR) to Ireland are available for as low as $1,409 round-trip. This is a steal considering business class tickets for this route are usually in the upper $2,000’s. It’s possible there are other routes outside of the ones listed, so if you see cheap British Airways business class fares, make sure to pay attention to the below section to save even more.
Get an even better deal with an AARP discount
You can save about $200 on the same flight, but you’re going to need an AARP membership. The good news: anyone can pay just $16 per year to get this membership and save $200 per person per round-trip off business class flights from the US on British Airways — or up to $65 per person per round-trip off economy flights on BA. Here are the full details of how the discount works.
On top of that discount, you can save 10% off British Airways marketed and operated flights by applying the latest Chase Visa discount code at checkout.
For this deal, I’d recommend finding cheap dates that work for your schedule through Google Flights first. Since the flights must be operated by and marketed by British Airways, you’ll want to limit the airline to British Airways and select London as your connection airport.
Once you have dates selected, you’ll need to start the booking on AARP’s British Airways discount page.
Again, make sure to select British Airways-operated flights to get both discounts. After selecting flights and clicking continue, you’ll need to click “Promotion code or eVoucher” and enter the discount code CHASEBA10 and click submit:
Despite only paying around ~$1,400, the flights from JFK to Dublin (with a connection through London-Heathrow) will earn the following when credited to American Airlines AAdvantage:
- Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM): 14,924
- Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD): 1,865
- Award miles: 9,327 — before elite bonuses
Airlines: British Airways, Aer Lingus
Routes: JFK/EWR to DUB/SNN/ORK
Cost: $1,409+ round-trip in business class
Travel Dates: December 2019 – January 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (JFK) to Dublin (DUB) for $1,409 round-trip in business on British Airways/Aer Lingus:
New York (JFK) to Shannon (SNN) for $1,694 round-trip in business on British Airways/Aer Lingus:
New York (JFK) to Cork (ORK) for $1,702 round-trip in business on British Airways:
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Additional reporting provided by JT Genter.
Featured image by maydays/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 75,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,500
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber savings annually (only for use in the U.S.)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 10x points on eligible purchases on your new Card at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. That’s an additional 9 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Enjoy complimentary access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits through American Express Travel with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,100 properties. Learn More.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees