Book American Airlines Flagship First Class to Japan for just 55,000 miles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: The team at The Points Guy loves to travel, but now is not the time for unnecessary trips. Health officials note that the fastest way to return to normalcy is to stop coming in contact with others. That includes ceasing travel. We are publishing travel deals because we should all use this time to think about and plan our next adventures. TPG doesn’t advise booking trips for travel until the late spring or early summer – and even then be mindful of cancellation policies.
While now isn’t the time to travel, it can be a great time to start planning trips for a post-coronavirus world. We’ve seen airlines run awesome promotions and open tons of award space for the end of the year; for example, airlines are offering sub-$100 fares to the Caribbean and wide-open award space to Europe for the holidays. Today, American Airlines quietly launched a promotion of its own: super cheap award tickets to Japan in premium cabins.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
As reported by God Save The Points, American Airlines is offering Web Special fares from the continental U.S. to Tokyo (HND) in first and business class. Tickets in American Airlines’ Flagship First Class cabin cost 55,000 AAdvantage miles one-way, while business-class tickets cost just 45,000 AAdvantage miles. Taxes and fees are low too: expect to pay just $5.60 departing the U.S. and $56 when flying from Tokyo to the U.S.
Most of these awards require connecting in American’s Dallas (DFW) hub, and you can connect from most U.S. airports. When doing this, your connecting flight will be in American’s domestic first class if space is available. As you can see in the screenshot above, there are connecting itineraries available from New York (LGA), and we’ve seen awards from Chicago (ORD), Washington D.C. (DCA) and others as well.
Tickets are available from late 2020 through early 2021, so it’s a great trip to plan now for travel after the coronavirus is contained. The earliest flight we can find with Web Special pricing departs on Oct. 24, 2020, and the promo is bookable through early March 2021. You can find and book this award ticket by searching on American Airlines’ website.
Just be aware that — since these are Web Special awards — they cannot be changed, and cancellations cost $150 for mileage redeposit.
Should I book first or business class?
Regardless of which cabin you book, you’ll score an excellent deal with this American Airlines promotion. However, I think that first class is worth the additional 10,000 AAdvantage miles. You’ll get a larger seat, elevated service and — of course — better Champagne, giving you a truly luxurious way to travel from the U.S. to Japan.
Make sure to watch TPG’s video review of American Airlines’ Flagship First Class before you book. This video shows a review of the product on American’s Miami (MIA) to Sao Paulo (GRU) route, but you can expect a similar experience on the Dallas (DFW) to Tokyo (HND) route.
The coronavirus outbreak has given points and miles enthusiasts an interesting opportunity for travel. While you shouldn’t book travel departing in the near future, wide-open award space in premium products and excellent promotions like this make now a good time to book travel for late 2020 and early 2021.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.