This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In late 2018, American Airlines rolled out a new mileage discount program called Economy Web Specials which offers AAdvantage members a chance to book economy flights for as little as 5,000 miles each way. Although American started with just six obscure routes, it expanded to 11 routes in early November and up to 39 routes in mid-December — including flights to Hawaii, Mexico, the Caribbean, South America and Europe (some of which are still available).
While the spectacular pricing on routes to Europe isn’t available anymore, there are still plenty of domestic routes that are currently pricing at just 5,000 miles each way. As far as we can tell, there are currently at least 67 routes in the US and Canada that are available through Economy Web Specials, starting at just 5,000 miles each way.
Currently, we are seeing 39 routes pricing as low as 5,000 miles each way:
DCA-BOS, DFW-BOS, DFW-BRO, DFW-LAS, DFW-LIT, DFW-MAF, DFW-MFE, DFW-MSY, DFW-SFO, JFK-ATL, JFK-BOS, JFK-CLT, JFK-LAS, JFK-MCO, JFK-MIA, LAX-AUS, LAX-LAS, LAX-MCO, LAX-PHL, LGA-ATL, LGA-BOS, LGA-CLT, LGA-LAS, LGA-MCO, LGA-MIA, MIA-DEN, MIA-EWR, MIA-PHX, ORD-BNA, ORD-JAX, ORD-MSP, ORD-PSP, ORD-SAN, PHL-BOS, PHL-DEN, PHL-MCO, PHL-MSY, PHL-RDU, PHX-LGB
Sorting by the current lowest price, other routes include:
- 5,500 miles: DFW-FLL, DFW-ICT, DFW-MIA, MIA-LAS, ORD-PHL, PHL-PBI
- 6,000 miles: JFK-IND, JFK-ORF, JFK-RIC, LAX-PDX, LGA-IND, LGA-ORF, LGA-RIC, PHL-GSO, PHX-LAS
- 6,500 miles: ORD-DCA, ORD-IAD
- 7,000 miles: DFW-CRP, LAX-CLT
- 7,500 miles: DFW-VPS, DFW-YYZ, PHL-SEA, PHX-DCA, PHX-EWR, PHX-IAD
- 8,000 miles: CLT-SFO, PHL-SAN
- 9,000 miles: CLT-LAS
At current TPG valuations, 5,000 AA miles are worth just $70. Adding in taxes and fees of just $5.60 one-way and these deals are equivalent to paying around $76 for a one-way flight.
Airline: American Airlines
Routes: (see routes above)
Cost: 5,000 miles + $5.60 taxes/fees one-way
Book Via: Directly with American Airlines
Pay Taxes/Fees With: Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel plus trip delay insurance), Citi Premier Card (3x on travel plus trip delay insurance), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare plus trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel plus trip delay insurance). While several American Airlines cards earn 2x miles on AA bookings, it’s best to stick to a card that offers travel protections.
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Philadelphia (PHL) to Los Angeles (LAX) for 5,000 miles one-way:
New York City (JFK/LGA/EWR) to Las Vegas (LAS) for 5,000 miles one-way:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Orlando (MCO) for 5,000 miles one-way:
Miami (MIA) to Phoenix (PHX) for 5,000 miles one-way:
Chicago O’Hare (ORD) to San Diego (SAN) for 5,000 miles one-way:
Miami (MIA) to Denver (DEN) for 5,000 miles one-way:
Chicago O’Hare (ORD) to Palm Springs (PSP) for 5,000 miles one-way:
Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to Boston (BOS) for 5,000 miles one-way:
Philadelphia (PHL) to Denver (DEN) for 5,000 miles one-way:
How Economy Web Specials Works
I’d recommend reading through all of the details in this post about how Economy Web Specials works. However, as a quick briefer:
- These awards don’t have all of the American Airlines Basic Economy limitations.
- Executive Platinum elites get upgrades as they can on other domestic economy awards
- Where the American website says “Economy Web Specials cannot be changed once ticketed.” This isn’t defined but may mean that travelers can’t use Same Day Flight Changes to switch to another award flight on the same day.
- You can cancel and reinstate your miles according to the same terms as any other AAdvantage award. A redeposit fee of $150 for the first passenger and $25 per additional passenger applies for everyone but AAdvantage Executive Platinum elites.
- The “Economy Web Special” program is in addition to — but not replacing — the Reduced Mileage Award program.
If these awards leave your AAdvantage account depleted, here are some ways to replenish your account:
- Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard: 60,000 miles after spending $3,000 in the first three months.
- CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard: 70,000 AAdvantage miles after making $4,000 in purchases in first 4 months. Plus, 2x miles on a wide variety of expenses.
- Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard: 50,000 miles after spending $5,000 in the first three months. Plus Admirals Club access for up to 33 travelers at a time.
- American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp Card: 10,000 miles and a $50 statement credit for spending $500 in three months — with no annual fee
Featured image by JT Genter / TPG
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
LIMITED TIME OFFER: 70,000 Miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $980
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2x miles on AA purchases plus 2x miles at gas stations and at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers and car rental merchants. Get your first checked bag free.
- Designed for businesses
- For a limited time: Earn 70,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $4,000 in purchases in first 4 months of account opening*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries to reduce travel costs and boost your bottom line*
- 25% savings on American Airlines inflight Wi-Fi when you use your card*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on purchases at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers, car rental merchants and at gas stations*
- Earn 1 AAdvantage® mile per $1 spent on other purchases*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees*