United Retains Employee Bonus Structure for Now, But It Will Eventually Change
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Let’s backtrack a bit. Last Friday, the carrier announced it was striking employee bonuses from the 2018 budget, replacing them with an arbitrary lottery giveaway each quarter.
Today, Brian Sumers tweeted a leaked internal memo from United CEO Oscar Munoz with the subject line: “A message from Oscar and Scott: Quarterly Operations Incentive Program.”
Based on this message, United employees will still receive their standard bonuses for Q1, based on the same criteria as used in the past. The new bonus plan has yet to be decided, but will be determined based on “a series of listening sessions” between employees and management.
United also recently announced a “compassion training” workshop that will be mandatory for all consumer-facing employees.
Featured image by United Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.