Uber Rolls out (More) Affordable Ride-Sharing With Express Pool
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Remember carpooling as a kid? The pick-ups and drop-offs, with everyone crammed into a stuffy vehicle? Thanks to technology, like so many things, ride-sharing has improved.
Here’s how it will work: A rider will see an Express POOL option next to UberPOOL in the app. Once they select Express, Uber books their ride, and starts looking for the best spot for pickup — for co-riders and the driver — within a few blocks. When the ride details are finalized, the rider will be given walking directions and an ETA, so they know when and where to meet their driver. Once in the car and nearing their stop, the rider will be notified of said location, and will be given walking directions to their final destination.
In terms of cost — which will be affected by surge pricing — Express POOL is up to 50% less than uberPOOL and 75% cheaper than uberX. What makes it more affordable is the mix of walking and waiting — this helps the app make more matches, and ultimately deliver a lower price to consumers than they are used to with uberPOOL.
Since introducing uberPOOL in 2014, this is the first new product Uber is launching — deemed their most affordable ride-sharing product yet. Uber has been piloting this product in San Francisco and Boston and are expanding to Washington, DC, Los Angeles, Miami, Philadelphia, San Diego and Denver over February 21 and 22.
Uber’s goal was to create a product for their consumers to use every day, with a consistent experience to boot — something that has proven to be tricky for uberPOOL. That means better routes, with fewer detours and a more reliable ETA. Uber aims to roll out Express POOL across more US cities later this quarter.
Images courtesy of Uber
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.