UberPOOL Improves Pickup and Dropoff Process in Manhattan
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Uber‘s made some behind-the-scenes improvements to its UberPOOL commuter service in Manhattan that are aimed at making the service a viable alternative to the public transportation that so many New Yorkers rely on. The changes are centered around improving Uber’s ‘walk to the corner’ feature that it originally rolled out last year, and were made after users submitted feedback on their experiences using the service over the past year.
It’s made several improvements to the pickup process — before Uber wouldn’t specify the corner that you’d be meeting your driver at, which led to confusion, lost time and more stress for drivers and riders. Now, however, it’ll tell drivers to pull over on the right-hand corner after a traffic light which should reduce stress on drivers. Also, UberPOOL will be aware of bicycle and bus lanes and will tell drivers to avoid making pickups in those areas whenever possible. Finally, the updated algorithm has reportedly reduced turns by 20% and has improved the matching service so that it can keep drivers on more direct routes.
Uber’s also made a minor change to the way dropoffs are made — instead of giving a predetermined spot to make the dropoff to riders when they request an UberPOOL, the app will recalculate that spot several times as the car gets closer to the destination, which will allegedly increase efficiency on a given route.
Are you a fan of these changes to UberPOOL?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees