UberPOOL Improves Pickup and Dropoff Process in Manhattan
Uber‘s made some behind-the-scenes improvements to its UberPOOL commuter service in Manhattan that are aimed at making the service a viable alternative to the public transportation that so many New Yorkers rely on. The changes are centered around improving Uber’s ‘walk to the corner’ feature that it originally rolled out last year, and were made after users submitted feedback on their experiences using the service over the past year.
It’s made several improvements to the pickup process — before Uber wouldn’t specify the corner that you’d be meeting your driver at, which led to confusion, lost time and more stress for drivers and riders. Now, however, it’ll tell drivers to pull over on the right-hand corner after a traffic light which should reduce stress on drivers. Also, UberPOOL will be aware of bicycle and bus lanes and will tell drivers to avoid making pickups in those areas whenever possible. Finally, the updated algorithm has reportedly reduced turns by 20% and has improved the matching service so that it can keep drivers on more direct routes.
Uber’s also made a minor change to the way dropoffs are made — instead of giving a predetermined spot to make the dropoff to riders when they request an UberPOOL, the app will recalculate that spot several times as the car gets closer to the destination, which will allegedly increase efficiency on a given route.
Are you a fan of these changes to UberPOOL?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.