This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Houston, we have a solution. Emirates is bringing back its A380 to Houston starting June 1. The superjumbo was taken off the Houston (IAH) – Dubai (DXB) route in 2016, and replaced by the Boeing 777-300ER.
Why does it matter? The A380 is equipped with Emirates famous onboard shower, while the 777 flew without it.
Plus, it means a whole lot more first and business class seats up for grabs. The A380 features 516 seats, with 14 in first, 76 in business and a whole 426 economy — a 160-passenger increase from the 777. The double decker aircraft is so large that Emirates even installed a full blown bar and lounge.
Although Alaska significantly devalued its award redemptions on Emirates flights, there are still plenty of ways to book the flight with points — and more seats usually means more award availability.
Houston and Dubai are known for their large oil sectors, and Emirates says that due to the “recovering” energy sector, it decided to upgrade the route with an A380. Service between the two cities will continue to operate daily. The same day the A380 comes back into service on the Houston route, Emirates will also launch nonstop 777-300ER flights between Newark (EWR) and Dubai.
Photo by Alberto Riva / The Points Guy.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees