This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Qatar Airways just took delivery of the very first A350-1000 — the first for Airbus and the airline alike — in Toulouse, France, on Tuesday afternoon. In addition, airline CEO Akbar Al Baker announced that the new Qsuite-equipped Airbus will soon launch on routes to the East Coast of the United States, in addition to the inaugural airport of London Heathrow (LHR), which will get the first A350-1000 scheduled flight this Saturday.
The A350-1000 is an extended-length version of the A350-900, which Qatar has been flying since 2015. The plane adds 44 seats, plus the airline’s phenomenal Qsuite business class, with sliding doors and a unique quad configuration that lets four passengers combine their suites. See my review of Qsuite on the 777-300ER for a detailed look at the best biz in the industry.
Al Baker confirmed that the US “East Coast” will be the next A350-1000 destination, though he wasn’t clear about which city will get the plane first, and when it’ll launch. It’s most likely that the plane will replace the -900, though, which is currently flying to Boston (BOS), Miami (MIA), New York-JFK and Philadelphia (PHL).
Stay tuned for much more from Qatar’s A350-1000 delivery, including a tour of the plane later today, followed by reports from the ferry flight to Doha (DOH) tomorrow. TPG and I will be covering both events live on social media — follow along with @thepointsguy on Instagram and Twitter, along with my own Instagram and Twitter accounts.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees