You Can Now Take an Online Course in Flying Cars
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While degrees in aviation and aeronautics have existed for decades, there’s a new category of aviation education that is finally being addressed: flying cars. Udacity, an online school that offers courses in technology for autonomous cars, VR and more, is now launching a “nanodegree” in flying car engineering.
Udacity was co-founded by Sebastian Thrun, who’s worked on Google’s self-driving car, now called Waymo. He is currently CEO of Kitty Hawk, a flying car startup that’s received investment’s from Google CEO and founder Larry Page.
Udacity is offering two courses, the first in “Aerial Robotics” and the second being “Intelligent Air Systems.” Each term last 12 weeks and costs $1,200 per course, but Aerial Robotics is discounted to $899 if you apply by February 7. Course instructors seem to have legitimate credentials, including Professor Nicolas Roy of MIT, Angela Schoellig at the University of Toronto and Sebastian Thrun himself.
According to Reuters, Udacity has received over 50,000 applicants for its self-driving car courses since 2016.
Aerial Robotics will cover the “fundamental concepts required to design and develop robots that fly.” In Intelligent Air Systems you’ll get an intro to fixed wing aircraft and then “learn to coordinate entire fleets of flying cars… real-world systems and regulations, and complete projects culminating in an entire ‘flying city’ finale.”
“Flying Cars and drones are the future of transportation, and they will massively change the world. Autonomous systems are the key to this future. Graduates will be immediately qualified to work in, and shape, this incredible field,” said Thrun on Udacity’s website.
Once students finish the two courses, they will have a “nanodegree” in Flying Cars and Autonomous Flight. Thrun, a former professor at Stanford, hopes the classes will help close the talent gap in the flying cars field.
“There is a huge shortage of engineers. There are plenty of smart people — the missing link is education,” Thrun told Reuters.
“It feels like science fiction now,” Thrun said. “But with Google and Amazon moving in, there is going to be enormous activity around this in the next year or two.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees