UberAir Could Launch On-Demand Aircraft in Los Angeles by 2020
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Uber already offers riders a variety of vehicle options to choose from, but the rideshare giant has more than just ground-based modes of transportation in mind for the future — including getting you to your destination via air.
Uber’s head of product Jeff Holden announced on Wednesday that the it has plans to launch its aerial taxi service in Los Angeles by 2020. The new service its called UberAir, and plans are already in the works to launch similar operations in Dallas and Dubai.
Effectively, Uber customers will be able to request an UberAir ride, go to the nearest launchpad on a rooftop and hop in a small electric plane with propellors that allow the aircraft to take off and fly like a helicopter. Uber released a promotional video of how it envisions the service working:
“Technology will allow LA residents to literally fly over the city’s historically bad traffic, giving them time back to use in far more productive ways,” Holden said. “At scale, we expect UberAir will perform tens of thousands of flights each day across the city.”
Uber announced that it’s teamed up with NASA to develop a specialized air traffic control network, which will help the UberAir aircraft navigate the more-crowded skies. Managing the UberAir aircraft, as well as those within commercial airspace will take coordination between the two organizations.
Sandstone Properties and Uber also announced that the two signed an agreement to develop UberAir’s Skyport rooftop takeoff and landing terminals. Sandstone has 20 buildings around LA, allowing for passengers to fly from one terminal to the next.
This is an exciting development from Uber. The company is saying that we could see these aircraft take to the skies by 2020, so it’s not too distant in the future. Being able to avoid car traffic could be a game changer — especially in Los Angeles, a city notorious for bumper-to-bumper congestion.
Featured image by Uber.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees