Watch Google Co-Founder’s Flying Car Take to the Skies
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The dream of a flying car is coming closer to reality after Kitty Hawk unveiled a working prototype of its vehicle, dubbed the Flyer, on Monday.
The Silicon Valley based startup, backed by Google Co-Founder Larry Page, demonstrated its Kitty Hawk Flyer in a video that shows the vehicle flying above above Clear Lake, California.
The single-person aircraft is powered by electricity. It falls under the FAA classification of “ultra-light” aircraft which means you don’t need a regular pilot’s license to operate one. The 220 pound drone-like machine is designed to fly over water with its thrust coming from eight propellers.
Intended for hobbyists, the Flyer is supposedly easy to control and its website says that “you’ll learn to fly it in minutes.”
Kitty Hawk is just one of many groups that’s trying to revolutionize travel. Google, Uber and a slew of other tech companies are working on self-driving vehicles and multiple Hyperloop startups are testing the transportation system across the world.
The Flyer is expected to hit the market by the end of 2017 although no price point has been set. If you’re willing to pay $100 to Kitty Hawk, the company is offering a $2,000 discount and early access to the Flyer — an odd proposal since consumers don’t know the cost.
H/T: The New York Times
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees