Watch Google Co-Founder’s Flying Car Take to the Skies
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The dream of a flying car is coming closer to reality after Kitty Hawk unveiled a working prototype of its vehicle, dubbed the Flyer, on Monday.
The Silicon Valley based startup, backed by Google Co-Founder Larry Page, demonstrated its Kitty Hawk Flyer in a video that shows the vehicle flying above above Clear Lake, California.
The single-person aircraft is powered by electricity. It falls under the FAA classification of “ultra-light” aircraft which means you don’t need a regular pilot’s license to operate one. The 220 pound drone-like machine is designed to fly over water with its thrust coming from eight propellers.
Intended for hobbyists, the Flyer is supposedly easy to control and its website says that “you’ll learn to fly it in minutes.”
Kitty Hawk is just one of many groups that’s trying to revolutionize travel. Google, Uber and a slew of other tech companies are working on self-driving vehicles and multiple Hyperloop startups are testing the transportation system across the world.
The Flyer is expected to hit the market by the end of 2017 although no price point has been set. If you’re willing to pay $100 to Kitty Hawk, the company is offering a $2,000 discount and early access to the Flyer — an odd proposal since consumers don’t know the cost.
H/T: The New York Times
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.