This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The dream of a flying car is coming closer to reality after Kitty Hawk unveiled a working prototype of its vehicle, dubbed the Flyer, on Monday.
The Silicon Valley based startup, backed by Google Co-Founder Larry Page, demonstrated its Kitty Hawk Flyer in a video that shows the vehicle flying above above Clear Lake, California.
The single-person aircraft is powered by electricity. It falls under the FAA classification of “ultra-light” aircraft which means you don’t need a regular pilot’s license to operate one. The 220 pound drone-like machine is designed to fly over water with its thrust coming from eight propellers.
Intended for hobbyists, the Flyer is supposedly easy to control and its website says that “you’ll learn to fly it in minutes.”
Kitty Hawk is just one of many groups that’s trying to revolutionize travel. Google, Uber and a slew of other tech companies are working on self-driving vehicles and multiple Hyperloop startups are testing the transportation system across the world.
The Flyer is expected to hit the market by the end of 2017 although no price point has been set. If you’re willing to pay $100 to Kitty Hawk, the company is offering a $2,000 discount and early access to the Flyer — an odd proposal since consumers don’t know the cost.
H/T: The New York Times
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees