Self-Driving Ubers on the Road Within 18 Months Says CEO
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Uber had a tough 2017 with a rash of negative press that hung over the company like a dark cloud. But 2018 is shaping up to be a better year, and at Bloomberg’s #TheYearAhead event, Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi shared some exciting news about the company’s self-driving cars.
Khosrowshahi said that he believes Uber will have autonomous cars “within the next 18 months.” And these aren’t just test vehicles, these are on the road.
“And not as a test case, as a real [use] case out there,” Khosrowshahi told Bloomberg editor-in-chief John Micklethwait.
Uber’s tested it’s self-driving cars in a few cities around the country but the most prominent use is in Arizona, where the state government has fully embraced the program. Khosrowshahi used the state as an example, where he said Uber would start “feathering in” autonomous cars with its regular fleet of vehicles that are manned by a human driver. Currently, test cars have a human in the driver’s seat in case anything goes wrong, but the next phase of the program would be to remove humans completely.
95% of the time you’ll get a human driver, especially if there’s something that the autonomous car can’t handle, like bad weather or an accident. But in those 5% of cases where everything lines up, Uber will send a self-driving car to pick up and transport you to your destination.
Fortunately for those weary about the technology, Uber will give you the option to say yes or no to an autonomous car.
“That 5% is going to go to 10%, 15% and 20% as our computers and algorithms learn more and more about what it takes to drive in a city in a real life situation,” said Khosrowshahi. “In five years, we will have the perfect driver in Phoenix.”
Uber will have to retrain that “driver” (a computer) in every single city, and it’ll take 10 to 15 years before we see mass use of self-driving Ubers.
The ride-sharing company has also been working on flying taxis — with Khosrowshahi remarking that the economics will make sense within five to seven years, when people will “think” about taking flying cars, and when the price will be brought down even more. Khosrowshahi also believes that children born today won’t need to learn how to drive cars, as autonomous technology will be prevalent by the time they reach legal driving age.
Featured image by Jeff Swensen/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.