Uber’s Self-Driving Cars Are Now Available in Arizona
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you order an Uber in Tempe, Arizona, there’s a chance you may be picked up by an autonomous car, as the company officially rolled out a new fleet of self-driving Volvo CX90s earlier this week. Don’t worry if you’re wary of riding in one of these vehicles, as there are two Uber engineers who sit up front, ready to take over in case the technology malfunctions. Users can also cancel the request if they don’t feel comfortable enough — rides will cost you the same as a regular Uber trip, too.
The move is somewhat surprising, considering the company had recently halted its self-driving service in San Francisco due to a regulatory dispute with the California state government. Pittsburgh was the first city to receive autonomous vehicles, which were unveiled back in September. Arizona Governor Doug Ducey embraced the ride-hailing company and even took a ride in one of the new cars yesterday:
Arizona is pushing to eventually become a self-driving state. In 2015, Ducey signed an executive order urging state agencies to “undertake any necessary steps to support the testing and operation of self-driving vehicles on public roads within Arizona.” The governor has also pushed for technology companies to partner with Arizona Universities — in 2015, Uber and the University of Arizona worked together on self-driving research to improve how cars ‘see’ when they are on the road. Uber hopes it can expand its self-driving car service to more cities in the coming weeks.
As a reminder, If you don’t already have an Uber account, you can sign up through this link to receive a free ride (up to $20) from TPG. Keep in mind that there are certain credit cards that allow you to maximize the dollars you spend whenever you ride with Uber or Lyft — even if there isn’t a human behind the wheel.
H/T: The Verge
Featured image courtesy of Uber.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees