This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For the third time this week, Icelandair announced a new US destination — this time, it’s San Francisco (SFO). The Reykjavik-based carrier will launch nonstop service between Iceland’s capital of Reykjavik (KEF) and SFO beginning June 1, 2018.
The SFO-KEF route will offer 4x weekly service, operated by one of Icelandair’s Boeing 767-300ER aircraft. Here’s the operational schedule for the route:
- FI862 San Francisco (SFO) 3:15pm Departure ⇒ Reykjavik (KEF) 6:35am (+1) Arrival — Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays
- FI863 Reykjavik (KEF) 5:00pm Departure ⇒ San Francisco (SFO) 6:55pm Arrival — Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays, Sundays
Icelandair’s 767-300ER features three cabins: Saga (business class with recliner seats), economy comfort and economy. Check out Brendan Dorsey’s review of the Icelandair experience in economy on the aircraft.
Seats are available on the inaugural flight from KEF to SFO for $293 one-way. Round-trip flights seem to hover around the $500 mark. While the flights aren’t yet loaded on Google Flights, you can search directly on Icelandair’s website.
This announcement of service to SFO is the latest Icelandair expansion in the US. On Tuesday, the carrier announced it was set to begin offering nonstop service between Kansas City (MCI) and KEF. The route will serve as the first-ever nonstop transatlantic flight from MCI. On Wednesday, the carrier also announced new service between Baltimore (BWI) and KEF.
San Francisco already has nonstop service to Iceland via low-cost carrier WOW Air. Travelers can expect to pay slightly more for the Icelandair service, however, it’s a full-service carrier as opposed to WOW.
With the addition of San Francisco (SFO) to its route network, Icelandair now services the following 18 US airports: Anchorage (ANC), Baltimore (BWI), Boston (BOS), Chicago (ORD), Cleveland (CLE), Dallas (DFW), Denver (DEN), Kansas City (MCI), Minneapolis (MSP), New York (EWR and JFK), Orlando (MCO), Philadelphia (PHL), Portland (PDX), San Francisco (SFO), Seattle (SEA), Tampa Bay (TPA) and Washington, DC (IAD).
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel