Another Day, Another New Icelandair Route: Today, It’s San Francisco
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For the third time this week, Icelandair announced a new US destination — this time, it’s San Francisco (SFO). The Reykjavik-based carrier will launch nonstop service between Iceland’s capital of Reykjavik (KEF) and SFO beginning June 1, 2018.
The SFO-KEF route will offer 4x weekly service, operated by one of Icelandair’s Boeing 767-300ER aircraft. Here’s the operational schedule for the route:
- FI862 San Francisco (SFO) 3:15pm Departure ⇒ Reykjavik (KEF) 6:35am (+1) Arrival — Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays
- FI863 Reykjavik (KEF) 5:00pm Departure ⇒ San Francisco (SFO) 6:55pm Arrival — Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays, Sundays
Icelandair’s 767-300ER features three cabins: Saga (business class with recliner seats), economy comfort and economy. Check out Brendan Dorsey’s review of the Icelandair experience in economy on the aircraft.
Seats are available on the inaugural flight from KEF to SFO for $293 one-way. Round-trip flights seem to hover around the $500 mark. While the flights aren’t yet loaded on Google Flights, you can search directly on Icelandair’s website.
This announcement of service to SFO is the latest Icelandair expansion in the US. On Tuesday, the carrier announced it was set to begin offering nonstop service between Kansas City (MCI) and KEF. The route will serve as the first-ever nonstop transatlantic flight from MCI. On Wednesday, the carrier also announced new service between Baltimore (BWI) and KEF.
San Francisco already has nonstop service to Iceland via low-cost carrier WOW Air. Travelers can expect to pay slightly more for the Icelandair service, however, it’s a full-service carrier as opposed to WOW.
With the addition of San Francisco (SFO) to its route network, Icelandair now services the following 18 US airports: Anchorage (ANC), Baltimore (BWI), Boston (BOS), Chicago (ORD), Cleveland (CLE), Dallas (DFW), Denver (DEN), Kansas City (MCI), Minneapolis (MSP), New York (EWR and JFK), Orlando (MCO), Philadelphia (PHL), Portland (PDX), San Francisco (SFO), Seattle (SEA), Tampa Bay (TPA) and Washington, DC (IAD).
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees