Kansas City to Get Its First-Ever Nonstop Transatlantic Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Kansas City is getting its first-ever nonstop transatlantic route. Icelandair announced on Tuesday that it’s set to begin nonstop seasonal service between Kansas City International Airport (MCI) and Iceland’s capital of Reykjavik (KEF).
The service will begin on May 25, 2018, from KEF to MCI, with the first operation from MCI to depart on May 26. Icelandair will offer 3x weekly seasonal service on the route, operating the nonstop flights to Iceland on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays, before it ends in September. Here’s the schedule:
- FI840 Kansas City (MCI) 5:15pm Departure ⇒ Reykjavik (KEF) 5:10am (+1) Arrival
- FI841 Reykjavik (KEF) 6:00pm Departure ⇒ Kansas City (MCI) 8:45pm Arrival
When the route launches, it will serve as Kansas City’s first-ever scheduled nonstop transatlantic flight — with the exception of some one-off flights like when the Kansas City Chiefs flew to London for a game. In order to get Icelandair to commit to the city, MCI agreed to waive landing and airport usage fees for two years — fees it charges other airlines. In addition, the airport will pay Icelandair $250,000 for each of the next two years to market the route in both Kansas City and Europe. According to The Kansas City Star, business organizations are also providing an undisclosed amount of stop-loss funding for one year.
The airline expects to service mostly summer leisure travelers heading to Europe on the route, as they can connect through Reykjavik to its extensive route network throughout Europe. It also plans to service business people on the route, as the middle of the US is a region lacking nonstop options to Europe — with the exception of a few hubs, such as Chicago (ORD) and Dallas (DFW).
The route will be operated by one of the carrier’s Boeing 757-200 aircraft. The aircraft features three cabins: Saga (business class with recliner seats), economy comfort and economy. Check out Brendan Dorsey’s review of the Icelandair experience in economy on a 767-300ER. Seats are available on the inaugural flight from MCI to KEF for $267 one-way. Round-trip flights seem to hover around the $572 mark. While the flights aren’t yet loaded on Google Flights, you can search directly on Icelandair’s website.
With the addition of Kansas City (MCI) to its route network, Icelandair now services the following 15 US airports: Anchorage (ANC), Boston (BOS), Chicago (ORD), Cleveland (CLE), Dallas (DFW), Denver (DEN), Kansas City (MCI), Minneapolis (MSP), New York (EWR and JFK), Orlando (MCO), Philadelphia (PHL), Portland (PDX), Seattle (SEA), Tampa Bay (TPA) and Washington, DC (IAD).
Featured image by Alexander Klein / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees