Grand Canyon Gets New Zip Line Experience
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Adrenaline junkies and thrill-seekers, rejoice. America’s (unofficial) pilgrimage just got a new experience: a zip line 1,000 feet above the Grand Canyon. The zip line opened in the West Rim of the Grand Canyon, where the already infamous Skywalk dangles thousands of feet in the air. Between straddling glass floors and strapping into a harness with only the atmosphere between guests and the ground, the West Rim of the Grand Canyon is turning into a hot spot for adrenaline seekers.
The zip line at Grand Canyon West, which opened January 2, 2018, is made up of two “quad” zip lines where each is attached to large metal structures on either side. Each zip line has four steel cables running parallel to each other so that groups of up to four can ride together. The first of the two measures about 1,100 in length while the second one, which is sloped at a steeper gradient, is about 2,100 feet long; they both reach speeds of up to 50 mph. When riding, visitors enjoy views of the nearby Quartermaster Canyon are unobstructed and unlike any found from the ground; the river and rocks below can be experienced unlike anywhere else in the National Park.
“We’re taking the West Rim to a new level of excitement,” Candida Hunter, chairwoman of the Grand Canyon Resort Corporation board of directors, said in a statement. “The zip line at Grand Canyon West gives our guests a unique adrenaline surge that will be one of the longest and most exciting zip lines found anywhere in the world.”
Visitors to the Grand Canyon number over 6 million every year and it’s estimated that the zip line at Grand Canyon West will accommodate an estimated 350,000 visitors annually. Ticket prices are $89 per person, which gives guests access to the zip line as well as the park; there’s an additional cost for those who want to walk on the Skywalk. The zip line will be open Tuesday through Friday from 9am to 4pm.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.