Visit US National Parks for Free on Select Days in 2018
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The US National Park Service has announced its fee-free days for visiting National Parks in 2018. The Park Service will allow the public to enter all 417 National Parks for free on four days next year.
Entrance fees will be waived on the following days next year:
- January 15 — Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- April 21 — First Day of National Park Week
- September 22 — National Public Lands Day
- November 11 — Veterans Day
Although only 118 of the parks charge entrance fees, some of them can be a bit pricey. Famous parks like Yosemite and the Grand Canyon charge $30 per vehicle, and the National Park Service is now proposing to increase that to $70. Taking advantage of the free days could save you some serious cash.
Unfortunately the Park Service has heavily reduced the free days compared to last year, cutting six days off the calendar. Keep in mind, too, that the free entrance days don’t exempt you from paying for extras like camping, boat-launching and special tours.
There are also loads of points hotels outside many national parks, so make sure to so consider those when booking your trip to save even more money.
If you can’t get to the great outdoors on one of the free days, the Park Service offers an unlimited entrance pass for only $80 per year. Active military, senior citizens, families of fourth grade students and disabled citizens also qualify for free or discounted passes.
Featured image by MundusImages / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.