Visit US National Parks for Free on Select Days in 2018
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The US National Park Service has announced its fee-free days for visiting National Parks in 2018. The Park Service will allow the public to enter all 417 National Parks for free on four days next year.
Entrance fees will be waived on the following days next year:
- January 15 — Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- April 21 — First Day of National Park Week
- September 22 — National Public Lands Day
- November 11 — Veterans Day
Although only 118 of the parks charge entrance fees, some of them can be a bit pricey. Famous parks like Yosemite and the Grand Canyon charge $30 per vehicle, and the National Park Service is now proposing to increase that to $70. Taking advantage of the free days could save you some serious cash.
Unfortunately the Park Service has heavily reduced the free days compared to last year, cutting six days off the calendar. Keep in mind, too, that the free entrance days don’t exempt you from paying for extras like camping, boat-launching and special tours.
There are also loads of points hotels outside many national parks, so make sure to so consider those when booking your trip to save even more money.
If you can’t get to the great outdoors on one of the free days, the Park Service offers an unlimited entrance pass for only $80 per year. Active military, senior citizens, families of fourth grade students and disabled citizens also qualify for free or discounted passes.
Featured image by MundusImages / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees