This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One more US city is getting a new option to Africa. Ethiopian Airlines is launching nonstop (one stop on the westbound leg) service between Chicago (ORD) and Addis Ababa (ADD), beginning later this year.
As reported by Routes Online, the carrier will launch a new route between ORD and ADD with a stop in Dublin (DUB) beginning June 2, 2018. The 3x weekly service will be operated with one of the carrier’s Boeing 787-8 Dreamliners on the following schedule:
- ET510 Addis Ababa (ADD) 10:15pm Departure ⇒ Dublin (DUB) 4:25am (+1) Arrival
- ET510 Dublin (DUB) 5:25am Departure ⇒ Chicago (ORD) 7:55am Arrival
- ET511 Chicago (ORD) 9:55am Departure ⇒ Addis Ababa (ADD) 7:40 (+1) Arrival
Note that like Ethiopian’s route between Washington, DC (IAD) and ADD, there is only a stop in Dublin on the westbound leg from ADD to IAD. The eastbound leg from IAD to ADD is nonstop.
This is the latest addition from Ethiopian to its US route network. Just last week, the carrier announced that it was adding one-stop service from Newark (EWR) to Addis Ababa (ADD) via Abidjan (ABJ).
Ethiopian’s 787, which it will fly on the ADD-DUB-ORD route, offers two cabins: economy and Cloud Nine (business). The business-class cabin offers 24 seats in a 2-2-2 configuration. The seats are a bit outdated and aren’t quite fully flat — they’re only angle-flat at 170 degrees. In economy, you’ll find 246 seats in a 3-3-3 configuration, with each seat offering 33 inches of pitch and 17 inches of width.
This week I flew Accra – Addis Ababa – Kilimanjaro on @ethiopianairlines and was blown away by the food and service. The 787 biz class seat is dated, but overall a great way to travel around Africa. I mean- they even have out roses to everyone in business on the 2 hour Addis- Kilimanjaro flight today! 🌹 Full reviews to come
Ethiopian is a member of Star Alliance, so check on award availability through its partner, United. You can fly on the nearly 14-hour route for 80,000 United MileagePlus miles + taxes and fees one-way in business, or 40,000 miles one-way in economy. Taxes and fees look to be minimal — on most days we’re seeing $5.60 each way.
This is a great option for travelers originating in Chicago looking to get to Africa — and just one of a slew of new ways to get to Africa in 2018. Ethiopian also offers other fifth-freedom routes such as these, continuing on to ADD. For example, the carrier flies from Los Angeles (LAX) to ADD via Dublin (DUB).
Featured image by AFP/Stringer / Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees