Ethiopian to Launch Flights to Chicago in 2018
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One more US city is getting a new option to Africa. Ethiopian Airlines is launching nonstop (one stop on the westbound leg) service between Chicago (ORD) and Addis Ababa (ADD), beginning later this year.
As reported by Routes Online, the carrier will launch a new route between ORD and ADD with a stop in Dublin (DUB) beginning June 2, 2018. The 3x weekly service will be operated with one of the carrier’s Boeing 787-8 Dreamliners on the following schedule:
- ET510 Addis Ababa (ADD) 10:15pm Departure ⇒ Dublin (DUB) 4:25am (+1) Arrival
- ET510 Dublin (DUB) 5:25am Departure ⇒ Chicago (ORD) 7:55am Arrival
- ET511 Chicago (ORD) 9:55am Departure ⇒ Addis Ababa (ADD) 7:40 (+1) Arrival
Note that like Ethiopian’s route between Washington, DC (IAD) and ADD, there is only a stop in Dublin on the westbound leg from ADD to IAD. The eastbound leg from IAD to ADD is nonstop.
This is the latest addition from Ethiopian to its US route network. Just last week, the carrier announced that it was adding one-stop service from Newark (EWR) to Addis Ababa (ADD) via Abidjan (ABJ).
Ethiopian’s 787, which it will fly on the ADD-DUB-ORD route, offers two cabins: economy and Cloud Nine (business). The business-class cabin offers 24 seats in a 2-2-2 configuration. The seats are a bit outdated and aren’t quite fully flat — they’re only angle-flat at 170 degrees. In economy, you’ll find 246 seats in a 3-3-3 configuration, with each seat offering 33 inches of pitch and 17 inches of width.
This week I flew Accra – Addis Ababa – Kilimanjaro on @ethiopianairlines and was blown away by the food and service. The 787 biz class seat is dated, but overall a great way to travel around Africa. I mean- they even have out roses to everyone in business on the 2 hour Addis- Kilimanjaro flight today! ? Full reviews to come
A post shared by Brian Kelly (@thepointsguy) on
Ethiopian is a member of Star Alliance, so check on award availability through its partner, United. You can fly on the nearly 14-hour route for 80,000 United MileagePlus miles + taxes and fees one-way in business, or 40,000 miles one-way in economy. Taxes and fees look to be minimal — on most days we’re seeing $5.60 each way.
This is a great option for travelers originating in Chicago looking to get to Africa — and just one of a slew of new ways to get to Africa in 2018. Ethiopian also offers other fifth-freedom routes such as these, continuing on to ADD. For example, the carrier flies from Los Angeles (LAX) to ADD via Dublin (DUB).
Featured image by AFP/Stringer / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees