Ethiopian to Launch Flights to Chicago in 2018
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One more US city is getting a new option to Africa. Ethiopian Airlines is launching nonstop (one stop on the westbound leg) service between Chicago (ORD) and Addis Ababa (ADD), beginning later this year.
As reported by Routes Online, the carrier will launch a new route between ORD and ADD with a stop in Dublin (DUB) beginning June 2, 2018. The 3x weekly service will be operated with one of the carrier’s Boeing 787-8 Dreamliners on the following schedule:
- ET510 Addis Ababa (ADD) 10:15pm Departure ⇒ Dublin (DUB) 4:25am (+1) Arrival
- ET510 Dublin (DUB) 5:25am Departure ⇒ Chicago (ORD) 7:55am Arrival
- ET511 Chicago (ORD) 9:55am Departure ⇒ Addis Ababa (ADD) 7:40 (+1) Arrival
Note that like Ethiopian’s route between Washington, DC (IAD) and ADD, there is only a stop in Dublin on the westbound leg from ADD to IAD. The eastbound leg from IAD to ADD is nonstop.
This is the latest addition from Ethiopian to its US route network. Just last week, the carrier announced that it was adding one-stop service from Newark (EWR) to Addis Ababa (ADD) via Abidjan (ABJ).
Ethiopian’s 787, which it will fly on the ADD-DUB-ORD route, offers two cabins: economy and Cloud Nine (business). The business-class cabin offers 24 seats in a 2-2-2 configuration. The seats are a bit outdated and aren’t quite fully flat — they’re only angle-flat at 170 degrees. In economy, you’ll find 246 seats in a 3-3-3 configuration, with each seat offering 33 inches of pitch and 17 inches of width.
This week I flew Accra – Addis Ababa – Kilimanjaro on @ethiopianairlines and was blown away by the food and service. The 787 biz class seat is dated, but overall a great way to travel around Africa. I mean- they even have out roses to everyone in business on the 2 hour Addis- Kilimanjaro flight today! 🌹 Full reviews to come
A post shared by Brian Kelly (@thepointsguy) on
Ethiopian is a member of Star Alliance, so check on award availability through its partner, United. You can fly on the nearly 14-hour route for 80,000 United MileagePlus miles + taxes and fees one-way in business, or 40,000 miles one-way in economy. Taxes and fees look to be minimal — on most days we’re seeing $5.60 each way.
This is a great option for travelers originating in Chicago looking to get to Africa — and just one of a slew of new ways to get to Africa in 2018. Ethiopian also offers other fifth-freedom routes such as these, continuing on to ADD. For example, the carrier flies from Los Angeles (LAX) to ADD via Dublin (DUB).
Featured image by AFP/Stringer / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.