Deal Alert: US Cities to Spain From $353 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
If you’re thinking about a trip to Spain, you’ll find some great deals right now via Oneworld partners American, Finnair, Iberia, Level and British Airways. We’re seeing prices as low as $353 round-trip in economy for departures from New York (JFK), Los Angeles (LAX) and Oakland (OAK) to both Barcelona (BCN) and Madrid (MAD).
These itineraries are mostly available in the winter months and then again later in the fall, but you don’t need any tricks to find these deals. Search for the dates you want using Google Flights, then book on Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline itself. Also, since these are international trips on mainstream carriers — and not in Basic Economy — passengers will usually get their first checked bag free and a complimentary meal. The one exception are any itineraries on low-cost carrier Level, which charges for both meals and bags.
Airlines: Oneworld partners (American, Finnair, British Airways, Iberia, Level)
Routes: JFK/OAK/LAX to BCN/MAD
Cost: $353+ round-trip in economy
Dates: February through March, September through November
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Oakland (OAK) to Barcelona, Spain (BCN) for $353 round-trip via Orbitz:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Barcelona (BCN) for $370 round-trip via Orbitz:
New York (JFK) to Barcelona (BCN) for $395 round-trip via Orbitz:
New York (JFK) to Madrid, Spain (MAD) for $400 round-trip via Orbitz:
Maximize Your Purchase
Be sure to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
H/T: The Flight Deal
Featured image by Ian.CuiYi/Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,000 properties. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees