The Owner of British Airways, Aer Lingus & Iberia Launches Low-Cost Carrier, LEVEL
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
IAG, the owner of British Airways, Iberia, Aer Lingus and Vueling, announced today that it’s going to offer more options for flyers by adding a long-haul, low-cost carrier to its portfolio. Enter LEVEL, IAG’s latest airline, which will launch in June 2017.
LEVEL will begin service from Barcelona (BCN) to Los Angeles (LAX), Oakland (OAK), Buenos Aires (EZE) and Punta Cana (PUJ) — and it plans to continue expanding its route network. The flights will be operated by two Airbus A330 aircraft, which are fitted with 293 economy seats and 21 premium economy seats. Fares start at €99 or $149 one-way — comparable to other low-cost carriers. Tickets are on sale today at flylevel.com, and we’re seeing one-way fares from just $105 on the inaugural flight between BCN and LAX on June 1.
Here are the details of the new routes:
- Barcelona (BCN) ⇒ Los Angeles (LAX) — 2x weekly service beginning June 1, 2017
- Barcelona (BCN) ⇒ Oakland (OAK) — 3x weekly service beginning June 2, 2017
- Barcelona (BCN) ⇒ Punta Cana (PUJ) — 2x weekly service beginning June 10, 2017
- Barcelona (BCN) ⇒ Buenos Aires (EZE) — 3x weekly service beginning June 17, 2017
The economy cabin of the A330 is arranged in a 2-4-2 configuration, and each seat has a seatback screen for in-flight entertainment.
The premium economy cabin on the other hand will be arranged in a 2-3-2 configuration and also feature screens for in-flight entertainment.
Like other low-cost carriers, LEVEL will charge economy passengers for their meal. However, it won’t charge premium economy passengers for checked luggage (in addition to a free cabin bag), meals and seat selection. All passengers will have access to the in-flight technology with entertainment options, and Wi-Fi will be available with prices starting at €8.99 (~$10). Here’s how the different fare classes break down:
Upon launch, the Barcelona-based LEVEL will operate its flights with Iberia flight and cabin crew. The launch of a low-cost, long-haul carrier by IAG will allow customers to fly on transatlantic routes at competitive prices and then connect in Europe to Vueling’s low-cost intra-Europe route network. And as far as loyalty programs go, LEVEL flyers will be able to select a Oneworld carrier of their choice to earn miles with.
LEVEL is IAG’s answer to the rise of low-cost carriers that have brought a ton of new competition to the transatlantic market, especially Norwegian, which just launched its $65 one-way introductory fares. The launch of this new low-cost carrier is ultimately good news for flyers, as it appears that low transatlantic fares are here to stay.
Stay tuned for more coverage on TPG as more details come out about this new option.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees