This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
IAG, the owner of British Airways, Iberia, Aer Lingus and Vueling, announced today that it’s going to offer more options for flyers by adding a long-haul, low-cost carrier to its portfolio. Enter LEVEL, IAG’s latest airline, which will launch in June 2017.
LEVEL will begin service from Barcelona (BCN) to Los Angeles (LAX), Oakland (OAK), Buenos Aires (EZE) and Punta Cana (PUJ) — and it plans to continue expanding its route network. The flights will be operated by two Airbus A330 aircraft, which are fitted with 293 economy seats and 21 premium economy seats. Fares start at €99 or $149 one-way — comparable to other low-cost carriers. Tickets are on sale today at flylevel.com, and we’re seeing one-way fares from just $105 on the inaugural flight between BCN and LAX on June 1.
Here are the details of the new routes:
- Barcelona (BCN) ⇒ Los Angeles (LAX) — 2x weekly service beginning June 1, 2017
- Barcelona (BCN) ⇒ Oakland (OAK) — 3x weekly service beginning June 2, 2017
- Barcelona (BCN) ⇒ Punta Cana (PUJ) — 2x weekly service beginning June 10, 2017
- Barcelona (BCN) ⇒ Buenos Aires (EZE) — 3x weekly service beginning June 17, 2017
The economy cabin of the A330 is arranged in a 2-4-2 configuration, and each seat has a seatback screen for in-flight entertainment.
The premium economy cabin on the other hand will be arranged in a 2-3-2 configuration and also feature screens for in-flight entertainment.
Like other low-cost carriers, LEVEL will charge economy passengers for their meal. However, it won’t charge premium economy passengers for checked luggage (in addition to a free cabin bag), meals and seat selection. All passengers will have access to the in-flight technology with entertainment options, and Wi-Fi will be available with prices starting at €8.99 (~$10). Here’s how the different fare classes break down:
Upon launch, the Barcelona-based LEVEL will operate its flights with Iberia flight and cabin crew. The launch of a low-cost, long-haul carrier by IAG will allow customers to fly on transatlantic routes at competitive prices and then connect in Europe to Vueling’s low-cost intra-Europe route network. And as far as loyalty programs go, LEVEL flyers will be able to select a Oneworld carrier of their choice to earn miles with.
LEVEL is IAG’s answer to the rise of low-cost carriers that have brought a ton of new competition to the transatlantic market, especially Norwegian, which just launched its $65 one-way introductory fares. The launch of this new low-cost carrier is ultimately good news for flyers, as it appears that low transatlantic fares are here to stay.
Stay tuned for more coverage on TPG as more details come out about this new option.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees