Aer Lingus Will Return to Oneworld After IAG Takeover
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
International Airlines Group (IAG), which owns British Airways and Iberia, is completing a takeover deal of Aer Lingus, currently owned by the government of the Republic of Ireland. Now, this may not seem like big news to those accustomed to flying business or first. For several years, Aer Lingus has been known for its low-cost, Ireland-based routes after having changed its strategy several years back. But it has quietly been working to become more competitive when it comes to premium service, even recently unveiling a new business class that should be up to snuff for discriminating travelers.
Once it’s finalized, this takeover will put Aer Lingus back into the Oneworld alliance. It’s unclear how this will affect the airline’s current partnership roster:
But with the Oneworld alliance addition, it also means you’ll be able to redeem American AAdvantage miles for Aer Lingus flights. This may just become a great new long-haul travel option, bringing another compelling transatlantic partner to AA’s network. You can check out Aer Lingus’ route map here. And IAG CEO Willie Walsh has hinted at four extra transatlantic routes being added after the takeover is completed.
So you will soon have the option of redeeming American AAdvantage miles in addition to Avios and United miles (or the possibility of either if you have the Chase Sapphire Preferred or Ink Plus cards, which earn Ultimate Rewards points that are transferable to either program). And if you have a Membership Rewards points-earning card from Amex such as the Premier Rewards Gold or EveryDay Preferred, you can also transfer those points to British Airways.
As we mentioned earlier, the reason you might want to use your BA Avios on Aer Lingus instead of on British Airways (and to fly to Dublin instead of London) is that Aer Lingus does not levy fuel surcharges on award tickets the way BA does, so you can end up saving hundreds of dollars on awards. Not only that, but the Boston-Dublin route also falls within BA’s fourth award chart mileage band of 2,001-3,000 miles, requiring far fewer miles than many other awards to Europe.
H/T: View from the Wing
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees