British Airways Grounds Plane After Crew Spots Bedbugs, Refuses to Fly
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A British Airways crew refused to operate a flight when the aircraft was discovered to be infested with bedbugs. Shortly before the flight from London Heathrow (LHR) to Accra, Ghana (ACC) was set to take off, the crew walked off the aircraft after the bugs were spotted.
“The cabin crew saw bedbugs crawling over the seats — visible to the naked eye,” a British Airways source said to The Sun. “They said it was unacceptable to work on that aircraft.”
British Airways said that it took the aircraft out of service as soon as the issue was raised. By the time a replacement aircraft was found, the crew was beyond its working hours. A different crew was located to operate the flight. In all, the flight was delayed about four hours.
In October 2017, British Airways had a similar incident on one of its aircraft after a family reported bites on board a long-haul flight from Vancouver (YVR) to London (LHR).
This most recent incident means bad news for the carrier, which has battled to defend and restore its reputation. In recent years, cuts have been made to the overall passenger experience, such as reducing seat pitch on some of its short-haul aircraft, as well as in the customer service department. In January 2018, however, BA made a move to try and restore its reputation by offering four-course meals for some long-haul economy passengers.
Featured image by Robert Nickelsberg / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.