British Airways to Add Seats, Reduce Pitch on Some Short-Haul Aircraft
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways will soon offer passengers on many short-haul flights less legroom than they’d get on Ryanair. That’s right, next year the legacy carrier is decreasing seat pitch on a couple of aircraft types in its fleet in order to squeeze in more seats.
On its short-haul A320 and A321 aircraft, BA is planning to add two new additional rows of seats. The A320, which currently has 28 rows of seats, will soon increase to 30 and instead of offering 30 inches of pitch, each seat will offer 29. The A321, which currently has 35 rows of seats, will soon increase to 37 and the amount of pitch offered at each seat will also decrease from 30 inches to 29.
As a point of comparison, European low-cost carrier Ryanair offers its economy passengers 30 inches of pitch on its 737-800 aircraft. Another popular European low-cost carrier, easyJet, offers its passengers the same amount of pitch as BA customers will come to expect on short-haul routes — 29 inches of pitch on its entire fleet.
This move is the latest in a trend from BA to make its product more competitive with low-cost carriers in the market. In the past year, the carrier has made such changes as scaling back its meal service on some transatlantic flights and doing away with complimentary snacks and drinks on its short-haul flights from London. In the carrier’s mind, by increasing the number of seats on board and reducing other costs (such as meals), it’ll be able to offer more competitive pricing.
According to The Telegraph, a BA spokesman said that the carrier will be flying to more than 78 short-haul destinations this year, with fares starting as low as £39. The spokesman continued, “So we can keep fares low, from next year we’re making a small increase to the number of seats on our A320 and A321 fleet.”
It’s worth noting that the CEO of BA, Alex Cruz, comes from a background of working with low-cost carriers, so he has the experience of operating in the market. However, for a legacy carrier like BA where customers are used to a certain experience, it’s still to be determined how the moves toward a more low-cost operation will work out for BA. Overall though, shrinking economy pitch will probably not be well received among flyers.
Featured image courtesy of Dan Kitwood via Getty Images.
H/T: The Telegraph
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.