British Airways to Add Seats, Reduce Pitch on Some Short-Haul Aircraft
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways will soon offer passengers on many short-haul flights less legroom than they’d get on Ryanair. That’s right, next year the legacy carrier is decreasing seat pitch on a couple of aircraft types in its fleet in order to squeeze in more seats.
On its short-haul A320 and A321 aircraft, BA is planning to add two new additional rows of seats. The A320, which currently has 28 rows of seats, will soon increase to 30 and instead of offering 30 inches of pitch, each seat will offer 29. The A321, which currently has 35 rows of seats, will soon increase to 37 and the amount of pitch offered at each seat will also decrease from 30 inches to 29.
As a point of comparison, European low-cost carrier Ryanair offers its economy passengers 30 inches of pitch on its 737-800 aircraft. Another popular European low-cost carrier, easyJet, offers its passengers the same amount of pitch as BA customers will come to expect on short-haul routes — 29 inches of pitch on its entire fleet.
This move is the latest in a trend from BA to make its product more competitive with low-cost carriers in the market. In the past year, the carrier has made such changes as scaling back its meal service on some transatlantic flights and doing away with complimentary snacks and drinks on its short-haul flights from London. In the carrier’s mind, by increasing the number of seats on board and reducing other costs (such as meals), it’ll be able to offer more competitive pricing.
According to The Telegraph, a BA spokesman said that the carrier will be flying to more than 78 short-haul destinations this year, with fares starting as low as £39. The spokesman continued, “So we can keep fares low, from next year we’re making a small increase to the number of seats on our A320 and A321 fleet.”
It’s worth noting that the CEO of BA, Alex Cruz, comes from a background of working with low-cost carriers, so he has the experience of operating in the market. However, for a legacy carrier like BA where customers are used to a certain experience, it’s still to be determined how the moves toward a more low-cost operation will work out for BA. Overall though, shrinking economy pitch will probably not be well received among flyers.
Featured image courtesy of Dan Kitwood via Getty Images.
H/T: The Telegraph
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees