British Airways Dishes Out Four-Course Menu for Long-Haul Economy Passengers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For passengers in economy class, airline food is rarely something to look forward to. From tepid entrées to paltry bags of pretzels or soy nuts, it’s slim pickings as your friends up front languish between filet or lobster.
British Airways, however, is mixing things up in its World Traveller (economy) cabin, unveiling a new catering service with more meal and snack options rolling out on all long-haul flights beginning January 17, 2018.
Previously, passengers on the London-based airline traveling in the economy cabin were only served a complimentary snack, a three-course meal or light meal depending on the flight duration, and complimentary bar service. Options now include:
- Pretzels with the welcome drink
- Four-course meal with starter, entrée, dessert, cheese and biscuits, accompanied by a bread roll and bottle of water
- Second meal or substantial snack depending on the length of the flight
- Regional meal options served according to destination
- Magnum ice-creams
- Tuck box with chocolates and crisps
- Hot breakfast on longer overnight flights
- Graze movie-snack box on longer flights
- Complimentary drinks from the bar
The new menu, which features desserts such as a Pots & Co salted caramel and chocolate mousse, is expected to change every six months and vary depending on the destination. The regional main meal options include everything from chicken in spicy Chengdu sauce on flights to and from China, Hong Kong, Japan and Korea, to chicken in spicy Arabic sauce for customers flying to the Middle East. Regional breakfasts are also available when applicable.
In a time when seemingly every airline amenity comes with a fee, BA guests get even more snacks and/or sandwiches depending on the length and time of their flight. Overnight flights will also include a hot English breakfast.
In addition to shelling out for the new economy class catering, British Airways is also investing more than four billion pounds over the next five years to cover the installation of Wi-Fi and power in every seat, new interiors and the delivery of 72 new aircraft.
The first flight with the new catering service will be on January 17 and will depart from London Heathrow (LHR) to New York (JFK).
Images courtesy of British Airways.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees