British Airways Dishes Out Four-Course Menu for Long-Haul Economy Passengers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For passengers in economy class, airline food is rarely something to look forward to. From tepid entrées to paltry bags of pretzels or soy nuts, it’s slim pickings as your friends up front languish between filet or lobster.
British Airways, however, is mixing things up in its World Traveller (economy) cabin, unveiling a new catering service with more meal and snack options rolling out on all long-haul flights beginning January 17, 2018.
Previously, passengers on the London-based airline traveling in the economy cabin were only served a complimentary snack, a three-course meal or light meal depending on the flight duration, and complimentary bar service. Options now include:
- Pretzels with the welcome drink
- Four-course meal with starter, entrée, dessert, cheese and biscuits, accompanied by a bread roll and bottle of water
- Second meal or substantial snack depending on the length of the flight
- Regional meal options served according to destination
- Magnum ice-creams
- Tuck box with chocolates and crisps
- Hot breakfast on longer overnight flights
- Graze movie-snack box on longer flights
- Complimentary drinks from the bar
The new menu, which features desserts such as a Pots & Co salted caramel and chocolate mousse, is expected to change every six months and vary depending on the destination. The regional main meal options include everything from chicken in spicy Chengdu sauce on flights to and from China, Hong Kong, Japan and Korea, to chicken in spicy Arabic sauce for customers flying to the Middle East. Regional breakfasts are also available when applicable.
In a time when seemingly every airline amenity comes with a fee, BA guests get even more snacks and/or sandwiches depending on the length and time of their flight. Overnight flights will also include a hot English breakfast.
In addition to shelling out for the new economy class catering, British Airways is also investing more than four billion pounds over the next five years to cover the installation of Wi-Fi and power in every seat, new interiors and the delivery of 72 new aircraft.
The first flight with the new catering service will be on January 17 and will depart from London Heathrow (LHR) to New York (JFK).
Images courtesy of British Airways.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.