Watch TPG Talk Points, Miles and More on the ‘Today Show’
Friday morning, TPG appeared on NBC’s Today Show and talked with Megyn Kelly about some of his best tips and tricks on how to save money while traveling in the new year.
First, TPG explained how to use Google Flight’s Map feature. The website prompts you to put in your departure city and travel dates, and then shows destinations all over the world helping you find a cheap getaway to a destination that may have never been on your radar before.
Another simple and easy way to save money when arranging travel is to book your tickets through a foreign version of an airline’s website. While it doesn’t work for every carrier, it’s a great “hack” when booking on certain airlines, with the best example being Norwegian. You can sometimes save 20%-30% just by selecting your tickets on a foreign version of its website. Just make sure you use Google Translate!
When it comes to canceling that dreaded non-refundable ticket, it usually seems like you’re totally out of luck. But TPG shared a pro tip: If an airline changes your flight’s schedule, even just by a few minutes, you can ask for a refund at no cost.
After dealing with hundreds of airline agents and hotel employees over the years, TPG’s main tip is to be nice. You’re much more likely to get what you want when you treat other people like human beings — “Nice people win.”
Finally, when it comes to points and miles, you need to keep in mind that airline websites often “lie” about award availability. Most carriers have partner airlines that you can use points on, but you might not be able to find availability because the different websites don’t communicate with each other. What you need to do is pick up the phone, call the airline and ask if they can search on partner airlines for award seats you want.
Check out the full segment below:
Featured image by NBC.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees