This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Friday morning, TPG appeared on NBC’s Today Show and talked with Megyn Kelly about some of his best tips and tricks on how to save money while traveling in the new year.
First, TPG explained how to use Google Flight’s Map feature. The website prompts you to put in your departure city and travel dates, and then shows destinations all over the world helping you find a cheap getaway to a destination that may have never been on your radar before.
Another simple and easy way to save money when arranging travel is to book your tickets through a foreign version of an airline’s website. While it doesn’t work for every carrier, it’s a great “hack” when booking on certain airlines, with the best example being Norwegian. You can sometimes save 20%-30% just by selecting your tickets on a foreign version of its website. Just make sure you use Google Translate!
When it comes to canceling that dreaded non-refundable ticket, it usually seems like you’re totally out of luck. But TPG shared a pro tip: If an airline changes your flight’s schedule, even just by a few minutes, you can ask for a refund at no cost.
After dealing with hundreds of airline agents and hotel employees over the years, TPG’s main tip is to be nice. You’re much more likely to get what you want when you treat other people like human beings — “Nice people win.”
Finally, when it comes to points and miles, you need to keep in mind that airline websites often “lie” about award availability. Most carriers have partner airlines that you can use points on, but you might not be able to find availability because the different websites don’t communicate with each other. What you need to do is pick up the phone, call the airline and ask if they can search on partner airlines for award seats you want.
Check out the full segment below:
Featured image by NBC.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards