This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airlines often ask passengers to follow safety instructions, not to tamper with smoke detectors and to put phones in airplane mode. However, in a surprising announcement, Virgin Atlantic is encouraging its passengers to steal its coveted salt and pepper shakers — in the classic VA red for the holidays — found on its flights from December 21-26, 2017.
The salt and pepper shakers have been collector items for aviation and cooking enthusiasts since they first appeared on board over 15 years ago; they can even be found on eBay selling for $20 a pop. The original shakers, named Wilbur and Orville, come with the inscription “Pinched from Virgin Atlantic” on the bottom, a nod to the passengers snapping up the highly sought-after seasonings. (The airline may want to consider a different approach if they want to keep Wilbur and Orville on board.)
“When we launched Wilbur and Orville over 15 years ago, we had no idea they’d become so iconic and loved by our customers. Although our cabin crew keep a close eye on them, thousands have been pinched over the years as customers like to take home a special memento of their Virgin Atlantic flight,” said Mark Anderson, executive vice president of Virgin Atlantic. “This Christmas, we’re shaking things up by introducing limited-edition red sets of Wilbur and Orville on all flights and expect to see them fly off the planes.”
The original salt shakers have been found on the ground since they were first introduced and the airline prides itself on its collectible items, all of which look uniquely Virgin — and all of which seem to get stolen from their fleet. Aside from Wilbur and Orville, the top items taken from Virgin planes are mugs, blankets, hand wash, cutlery, safety cards and sick bags.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees