TSA Agent Arrested for Allegedly Stealing Cash From Passenger’s Bag
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When you go through security at the airport, there’s enough commotion in the process to worry about — between speeding through so you’re not holding up the line to making sure you don’t leave anything behind. But, one thing you’re probably not used to worrying about is having a TSA agent try to steal from you.
Alexander Shae Johnson, a 22-year-old TSA agent at Orlando International Airport (MCO), was arrested Thursday after he was caught on video stealing cash from a passenger’s bag. According to the Orlando Sentinel, Johnson had only been with the TSA for a couple of months, but following the incident, he was arrested and charged with third-degree felony grand theft — and is no longer a TSA employee.
After the passenger, Kathleen Duddleston, went through the screening procedure, she was required to go through additional screening in the form of a pat-down search. While she was getting searched, she noticed Johnson standing close to her bag. Once her additional screening was over, she went to collect her bag and saw that the cash that was inside was missing.
TSA agent accused of stealing money from traveler’s luggage https://t.co/XHEi2B460A
— HuffPost Crime (@HuffPostCrime) June 27, 2017
It was then that she noticed a bulge in Johnson’s shirt pocket — one that turned out to be the missing cash. When asked, Johnson said the cash was his but upon further investigation, the video proved that the money was indeed Duddleston’s.
“TSA has a zero tolerance [policy] for misconduct in the workplace,” said TSA spokeswoman Sari Koshetz. “The TSA immediately reported the allegation to OPD and we aggressively investigated the incident with our law enforcement partner.” Since the incident, Johnson was reportedly taken to the Orange County Jail but was released after posting bail.
The incident serves as a reminder for all passengers — whether you have TSA PreCheck or not — to keep an eye on your bags at all times.
Featured image courtesy of George Rose via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees