This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways is a frustrating airline for mileage collectors. BA’s Avios mileage currency can be great to utilize for partner flights, but the airline’s cost-prohibitive carrier surcharges on its own flights usually makes booking awards on British Airways planes a terrible value.
But where the airline can come through for those of us looking for a deal is by providing solid discounts on revenue flights. While the AARP discount isn’t as good as it used to be, you can still save $65 off economy, $130 off premium economy and $200 off first and business class round-trips. Currently, this discount is scheduled to end January 31, 2018, but we’re hopeful it’ll be extended again.
Then, there’s the 10% off discount. While this promotion is targeted at British Airways Visa Signature Card holders, there have been plenty of reports from TPG readers that they’ve successfully applied this promo code to British Airways flight purchases made using other Chase Visa credit cards.
The terms and conditions for this discount note that it’s only good for flights through December 31, 2017. So far, the BA website has been enforcing these terms. But now, as View From The Wing discovered Saturday, the discount is available for flights in 2018.
UPDATE 12/21/2017: British Airways has now updated the Terms & Conditions to reflect the discount applies to flights through June 30, 2018.
So, let’s review this discount and how you can take advantage of it.
- 10% off the entire purchase of British Airways flights
- Promotional website: www.ba.com/Chase10
- Promo code: CARDOFFERU
- Latest departure date: June 30, 2018
- All flights must be on British Airways marketed and operated flights (more about that later)
Why It’s a Good Deal
No matter how much or little the flight costs, you’ll get 10% off. Some promotions — such as the $65-400 off British Airways promo — only discount the base fare, but this one is great for discounting 10% off the entire price. British Airways is known for its sky-high carrier surcharges and London’s Heathrow Airport is known for its sky-high taxes and fees, but this promotion takes 10% off the total ticket price.
Say you’re looking at a flight costing $984 round-trip: $295 base fare, $516 carrier imposed charges and $173 in taxes. The 10% discount applies to the entire $984 — not just the $295 base fare or even the $811 base fare + carrier imposed charges. Even the $173 in taxes is discounted 10%!
And your family and friends can benefit from this promotion too. The 10% off isn’t limited to just the cardholder’s ticket. The terms allow you to save 10% off of everyone’s ticket when you “book up to eight friends and family members traveling on the same flight.”
The discount is eligible for any British Airways or OpenSkies class of service:
- British Airways: World Traveller (economy), World Traveller Plus (premium economy), Club World (business) and First Class
- OpenSkies: Eco (economy), Prem Plus (premium economy) and Biz Bed (business)
Make it a Really Good Deal
You can potentially save even more by combining this promotion with the British Airways AARP discount. If you’re a member of AARP (anyone can join for just $16 per year), you can save $65 off economy, $130 off premium economy and $200 off business/first class. If you’re interested in combining these offers, we have a step-by-step guide for you here.
Limitations on Departure Airports
All flight segments must be on British Airways or OpenSkies metal, meaning that the plane needs to be operated by British Airways or OpenSkies. That means that you can’t fly any segments operated by American Airlines, Iberia, Finnair or any other partner.
Since you won’t be able to connect domestically in the US, you’re limited to departing out of airports that British Airways/OpenSkies operate. Thankfully, that list is pretty long:
Atlanta (ATL), Austin (AUS), Baltimore (BWI), Boston (BOS), Chicago (ORD), Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), Denver (DEN), Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Houston (IAH), Las Vegas (LAS), Los Angeles (LAX), Miami (MIA), Nashville (BNA — starting May 4, 2018), New Orleans (MSY), New York (JFK), Newark (EWR), Oakland (OAK), Orlando (MCO), Philadelphia (PHL), Phoenix (PHX), San Diego (SAN), San Francisco (SFO), San Jose (SJC), Seattle (SEA), Tampa (TPA), Washington, DC (IAD)
Which Credit Card(s)?
While plenty of readers have been able to use any Chase Visa card to get the bonus, technically this promotion requires paying with the British Airways Visa Signature Card. If you don’t have the card yet, you can earn up to 75,000 bonus Avios. You’ll earn the first 50,000 Avios after spending $3,000 in the first three months. Then, you’ll get another 25,000 Avios for spending $10,000 total in the first year after opening.
Have you used the 10% discount on British Airways flights.
H/T: View From The Wing
Featured image by British Airways.
- 50,000 bonus Avios after you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening.
- Earn an additional 25,000 bonus Avios after you spend $10,000 total on purchases within your first year from account opening for a total of 75,000 bonus Avios.
- Every calendar year you make $30,000 in purchases on your British Airways Visa card, you'll earn a Travel Together Ticket good for two years.
- In addition to the bonus Avios, you will also get 3 Avios for every $1 spent on British Airways purchases and 1 Avios for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Pay no foreign transaction fees when you travel abroad.
- Chip Technology allows you to use your card for chip based purchases in Europe & beyond, while still giving you the ability to use your card as you do today at home.