Forever 21 Says Credit Card Information May Have Been Stolen
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Clothing retailer Forever 21 is reporting that it was hacked in early 2017 and that many of its customers’ credit card information may be at risk. The store received a report from a third-party source saying that from March through October 2017 some of the security encryption features on its card readers, which were installed in 2015, didn’t work properly. The retailer says that the breach didn’t affect every store in its network — it has 800 in total.
Los Angeles-based Forever 21 said that it’s still too early to provide anymore details but that it continues to investigate the situation. Although it did recommend that customers monitor their credit card statements for any fraudulent charges.
In September Equifax was hit by a massive security breach, which resulted in over 143 million Americans having their sensitive information compromised. Later that month Sonic Drive-In reported that it was hacked and that there was “unusual activity” on a large number of cards used at the restaurants. Earlier in 2017, Chipotle and IHG reported similar attacks on their payment systems, and just last month Hyatt claimed it had suffered yet another breach.
Make sure you read up on methods you can use to protect your credit card information from fraud and abuse.
Featured image by George Rose/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees