Sonic Drive-In Hit by Massive Credit Card Breach
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Consumers worried about the safety of their credit reports or credit card information aren’t getting a lot of good news lately. After Equifax announced that it had been hacked and that nearly half of the US’s population credit info and social security numbers may have been at risk of being stolen, Sonic Drive-In is now saying that it may have a serious security breach on its hands.
The fast food chain said that its credit card processing company reported “unusual activity” on a large number of cards that had recently been used at Sonic. A Sonic spokeswoman told the CyberSecurity blog Krebs on Security that it has launched an investigation into the matter and that the company isn’t sure how many locations were affected.
Krebs said “the ongoing breach may have led to a fire sale on millions of stolen credit and debit card accounts that are now being peddled in shadowy underground cybercrime stores.”
Sonic has a large presence in the US, with almost 3,500 locations in 45 states.
The Wall Street Journal says it could be months before more information is available to the public, because only two states require companies to disclose details about security breaches. These laws have been “largely ineffective in getting companies to be forthcoming with information,” the Journal added.
The last security breach like this happened to Wendy’s in 2016, according to Krebs, and lasted for nine months, affecting 300 restaurants. It took so long to resolve because many of Wendy’s locations are franchises — and about 90% of Sonic locations are franchises as well.
Featured image by Mike Mozart/Flickr.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees