This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Consumers worried about the safety of their credit reports or credit card information aren’t getting a lot of good news lately. After Equifax announced that it had been hacked and that nearly half of the US’s population credit info and social security numbers may have been at risk of being stolen, Sonic Drive-In is now saying that it may have a serious security breach on its hands.
The fast food chain said that its credit card processing company reported “unusual activity” on a large number of cards that had recently been used at Sonic. A Sonic spokeswoman told the CyberSecurity blog Krebs on Security that it has launched an investigation into the matter and that the company isn’t sure how many locations were affected.
Krebs said “the ongoing breach may have led to a fire sale on millions of stolen credit and debit card accounts that are now being peddled in shadowy underground cybercrime stores.”
Sonic has a large presence in the US, with almost 3,500 locations in 45 states.
The Wall Street Journal says it could be months before more information is available to the public, because only two states require companies to disclose details about security breaches. These laws have been “largely ineffective in getting companies to be forthcoming with information,” the Journal added.
The last security breach like this happened to Wendy’s in 2016, according to Krebs, and lasted for nine months, affecting 300 restaurants. It took so long to resolve because many of Wendy’s locations are franchises — and about 90% of Sonic locations are franchises as well.
Featured image by Mike Mozart/Flickr.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees