This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Consumers worried about the safety of their credit reports or credit card information aren’t getting a lot of good news lately. After Equifax announced that it had been hacked and that nearly half of the US’s population credit info and social security numbers may have been at risk of being stolen, Sonic Drive-In is now saying that it may have a serious security breach on its hands.
The fast food chain said that its credit card processing company reported “unusual activity” on a large number of cards that had recently been used at Sonic. A Sonic spokeswoman told the CyberSecurity blog Krebs on Security that it has launched an investigation into the matter and that the company isn’t sure how many locations were affected.
Krebs said “the ongoing breach may have led to a fire sale on millions of stolen credit and debit card accounts that are now being peddled in shadowy underground cybercrime stores.”
Sonic has a large presence in the US, with almost 3,500 locations in 45 states.
The Wall Street Journal says it could be months before more information is available to the public, because only two states require companies to disclose details about security breaches. These laws have been “largely ineffective in getting companies to be forthcoming with information,” the Journal added.
The last security breach like this happened to Wendy’s in 2016, according to Krebs, and lasted for nine months, affecting 300 restaurants. It took so long to resolve because many of Wendy’s locations are franchises — and about 90% of Sonic locations are franchises as well.
Featured image by Mike Mozart/Flickr.
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that