Many IHG Properties Hit by Credit Card Data Breach
IHG issued a press release at the end of last week alerting guests of a credit card data breach from credit card readers at the front desks of ‘certain IHG-branded franchise locations’ from September 29 through December 29, 2016. The chain hired a cyber security firm to investigate after it noticed a pattern of unauthorized charges on certain credit cards after they’d been used at various properties. The investigation began in February and ended last month.
After the investigation, it was made known that malware had been installed to harvest information like names, card numbers, expiration dates and security codes when a card was swiped at an affected property. There’s no evidence to suggest that sensitive information was collected by the malware after December 29, 2016. IHG says that it has alerted law enforcement and is working with card issuers as well as the cyber security firm it hired to shore up its security systems and to make sure that the malware is eliminated.
IHG has a webpage where you can see the affected properties — most seem to be Holiday Inn or Holiday Inn Express hotels in the US and Puerto Rico including the Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square, Holiday Inn Express Los Angeles Downtown West and the Holiday Inn Chicago O’Hare.
Remember that you aren’t responsible for unauthorized charges on your card. You should consider requesting a replacement card if you visited any of these properties during the time that the breach was active.
Were you affected by this recent IHG credit card data breach?
Featured image courtesy of the Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.