Many IHG Properties Hit by Credit Card Data Breach
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
IHG issued a press release at the end of last week alerting guests of a credit card data breach from credit card readers at the front desks of ‘certain IHG-branded franchise locations’ from September 29 through December 29, 2016. The chain hired a cyber security firm to investigate after it noticed a pattern of unauthorized charges on certain credit cards after they’d been used at various properties. The investigation began in February and ended last month.
After the investigation, it was made known that malware had been installed to harvest information like names, card numbers, expiration dates and security codes when a card was swiped at an affected property. There’s no evidence to suggest that sensitive information was collected by the malware after December 29, 2016. IHG says that it has alerted law enforcement and is working with card issuers as well as the cyber security firm it hired to shore up its security systems and to make sure that the malware is eliminated.
IHG has a webpage where you can see the affected properties — most seem to be Holiday Inn or Holiday Inn Express hotels in the US and Puerto Rico including the Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square, Holiday Inn Express Los Angeles Downtown West and the Holiday Inn Chicago O’Hare.
Remember that you aren’t responsible for unauthorized charges on your card. You should consider requesting a replacement card if you visited any of these properties during the time that the breach was active.
Were you affected by this recent IHG credit card data breach?
Featured image courtesy of the Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees