This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
California residents rejoice! Another airline is fighting for your business with a California-only offer. Now through December 31, 2017, Alaska Airlines is offering 5,000 miles to California residents that sign up for Mileage Plan and complete a flight on Alaska or Virgin America between the enrollment date and June 30, 2018.
While this offer is nowhere near as exciting as getting a Southwest Companion Pass after one purchase, it’s still free miles. Based on TPG’s current valuations, 5,000 Alaska Mileage Plan miles are worth $95. And, there are quite a few dates where you can get a flight between two California cities for under $80 round-trip, or a round-trip to Las Vegas (LAS) for $79. Plus this bonus only requires a one-way ticket, which you can score for under $40 if you only need a one-way flight.
As Alaska points out in the promotion, 5,000 miles is enough for a one-way award flight between San Francisco (SFO) and Los Angeles (LAX). However, with cash tickets so cheap and considering Alaska’s incredibly valuable partners, you probably won’t want to spend the 5,000-mile bonus on one of those short-haul flights.
If you’re unfamiliar with Alaska’s Mileage Plan, here’s a quick rundown: In an era where all other major US airlines have switched to a revenue-based earning system, Alaska still lets you earn miles based on how far you fly instead of how much you spend on the ticket. And in addition to its awesome partners, Alaska’s program has a reasonable distance-based redemption chart for flights on Alaska itself.
To top it all off, Alaska Airlines is one of the best overall operations in the country, having taken first place in The Points Guy’s Best and Worst Airlines report this year.
Featured image by Alaska Airlines.
Alaska miles are extremely valuable because you can book awards on partners like Emirates, Icelandair, Korean Air and Japan Airlines. The current bonus of 30,000 miles can book you a roundtrip ticket on Alaska Airlines from Boston to San Diego or New York to Seattle, for example.
- Special Introductory Offer: Buy 1 ticket, get 1 for just the taxes and fees with Alaska's Famous Companion Fare™ Offer.
- Get 30,000 bonus miles after you make $1,000 or more in purchases within the first 90 days of your account opening.
- Enjoy another Alaska's Famous Companion Fare™ every year from $121 ($99 plus taxes and fees from $22) on your account anniversary valid on Alaska and Virgin America flights booked on alaskaair.com.
- Save with a free checked bag on Alaska and Virgin America flights for you and up to six other passengers on the same reservation.
- Earn 3 miles for every $1 spent directly on Alaska Airlines and Virgin America purchases and 1 mile for every $1 spent on all other purchases. No foreign transaction fees.
- There are two types of cards: the Visa Signature® card and the Platinum Plus® card. The card you receive will be determined by several factors including your income and credit history.
- The benefits and bonus miles above apply to Visa Signature cards only. The Annual Fees, benefits and bonus miles for Platinum Plus® cards are different.
- For more information on the differences, see the Features section accompanying the application.