Alaska Airlines Offering 5,000 Bonus Miles to New California Mileage Plan Members
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
California residents rejoice! Another airline is fighting for your business with a California-only offer. Now through December 31, 2017, Alaska Airlines is offering 5,000 miles to California residents that sign up for Mileage Plan and complete a flight on Alaska or Virgin America between the enrollment date and June 30, 2018.
While this offer is nowhere near as exciting as getting a Southwest Companion Pass after one purchase, it’s still free miles. Based on TPG’s current valuations, 5,000 Alaska Mileage Plan miles are worth $95. And, there are quite a few dates where you can get a flight between two California cities for under $80 round-trip, or a round-trip to Las Vegas (LAS) for $79. Plus this bonus only requires a one-way ticket, which you can score for under $40 if you only need a one-way flight.
As Alaska points out in the promotion, 5,000 miles is enough for a one-way award flight between San Francisco (SFO) and Los Angeles (LAX). However, with cash tickets so cheap and considering Alaska’s incredibly valuable partners, you probably won’t want to spend the 5,000-mile bonus on one of those short-haul flights.
If you’re unfamiliar with Alaska’s Mileage Plan, here’s a quick rundown: In an era where all other major US airlines have switched to a revenue-based earning system, Alaska still lets you earn miles based on how far you fly instead of how much you spend on the ticket. And in addition to its awesome partners, Alaska’s program has a reasonable distance-based redemption chart for flights on Alaska itself.
To top it all off, Alaska Airlines is one of the best overall operations in the country, having taken first place in The Points Guy’s Best and Worst Airlines report this year.
Featured image by Alaska Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Alaska miles are extremely valuable because you can book awards on partners like Emirates, Icelandair, Korean Air and Japan Airlines. The current bonus of 40,000 miles can book you a roundtrip ticket on Alaska Airlines from Boston to San Diego or New York to Seattle, for example.
- Limited Time Offer! $100 Statement Credit + 40,000 Bonus Miles.
- Get a $100 statement credit, 40,000 bonus miles and Alaska's Famous Companion Fare™ from $121 ($99 fare plus taxes and fees from just $22) with this online offer. To qualify, make purchases of $2,000 or more within the first 90 days of opening your account.
- Free checked bag for you and up to 6 guests on the same reservation – that's a savings of $60 per person roundtrip!
- Get another Alaska's Famous Companion Fare™ every year! Each year on your account anniversary get a companion fare from $121 ($99 fare plus taxes and fees from $22). Valid on all Alaska flights booked on alaskaair.com with no blackout dates.
- Earn unlimited 3 miles for every $1 spent on eligible Alaska Airlines purchases and unlimited 1 mile for every $1 spent on all other purchases. And, your miles don't expire on active accounts.
- Enjoy 20% back on all Alaska Airlines inflight purchases and 50% off day passes at the Alaska Lounge when you pay with your new card.
- With the oneworld® Alliance and Alaska's Global Partners, you have the freedom to travel to more than 1,000 destinations on 20+ airlines. Plus, get exclusive access to discounted redemption levels when you redeem for hotel stays at over 400,000 properties using Alaska Airlines Hotels.
- Contactless card – The security of a chip card, with the convenience of a tap
- Plus, no foreign transaction fees and a low $75 annual fee.