Passenger Buys Ticket on 189-Person Flight, Gets Entire Plane to Herself
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Imagine arriving at the your departure gate and seeing nobody else there for your flight. Well, that’s exactly what happened to Karon Grieve when she showed up for her Jet2 flight from Glasgow to the Greek island of Crete. She had an idea that the flight wouldn’t be too crowded — the peak travel season, especially for the Greek Islands, is winding down. But, when she asked the agent at check-in how many people would be on the flight, she was surprised at the agent’s response: “guess how many.” Grieve began her guessing at 10 and kept counting down until she got to three. Yep, only three passengers were booked on the flight.
But when she finally boarded her flight, flight attendants informed her the other two passengers did not show up. So, she scored a private, four-hour flight to Crete. And the best part? It only cost $60.
— Karon Grieve (@KaronGrieve) October 23, 2017
Grieve got to enjoy great service and sit in the first row of the plane. She befriended the crew along with the captain and first officer. In fact, the captain would make announcements and personally address Grieve and the flight attendants — “Hi, Karon and the girls. We are now flying over Croatia, look to your left,” — Grieve told the Daily Record. When she landed, her baggage was handed to her by the crew at baggage claim. She got to enjoy the ultimate VIP customer service and she was as excited about it as the airline was: “We’re delighted Karon got to experience our VIP customer service in style,” a Jet2 spokesperson said. “It is not unusual for the final outbound flight of the season to have fewer bookings than normal. We hope Karon has a fantastic time in Crete.”
Have you ever flown on an empty flight? Let us know in the comments below.
H/T: Travel + Leisure
Featured image by PASCAL PAVANI / Staff via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.