Passenger Buys Ticket on 189-Person Flight, Gets Entire Plane to Herself
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Imagine arriving at the your departure gate and seeing nobody else there for your flight. Well, that’s exactly what happened to Karon Grieve when she showed up for her Jet2 flight from Glasgow to the Greek island of Crete. She had an idea that the flight wouldn’t be too crowded — the peak travel season, especially for the Greek Islands, is winding down. But, when she asked the agent at check-in how many people would be on the flight, she was surprised at the agent’s response: “guess how many.” Grieve began her guessing at 10 and kept counting down until she got to three. Yep, only three passengers were booked on the flight.
But when she finally boarded her flight, flight attendants informed her the other two passengers did not show up. So, she scored a private, four-hour flight to Crete. And the best part? It only cost $60.
— Karon Grieve (@KaronGrieve) October 23, 2017
Grieve got to enjoy great service and sit in the first row of the plane. She befriended the crew along with the captain and first officer. In fact, the captain would make announcements and personally address Grieve and the flight attendants — “Hi, Karon and the girls. We are now flying over Croatia, look to your left,” — Grieve told the Daily Record. When she landed, her baggage was handed to her by the crew at baggage claim. She got to enjoy the ultimate VIP customer service and she was as excited about it as the airline was: “We’re delighted Karon got to experience our VIP customer service in style,” a Jet2 spokesperson said. “It is not unusual for the final outbound flight of the season to have fewer bookings than normal. We hope Karon has a fantastic time in Crete.”
Have you ever flown on an empty flight? Let us know in the comments below.
H/T: Travel + Leisure
Featured image by PASCAL PAVANI / Staff via Getty Images.
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees