Watch the KLM Fokker 70 on Its Last Flight
2017 has had its fair share of AvGeek goodbyes. United said adios to its 747 and Delta is doing the same with the Queen of the Skies — even rarer birds like the Avro RJ100 are headed into the afterlife. Unfortunately another plane can now be added to the list, the Fokker 70. KLM flew its last flight with the Fokker on Saturday, retiring the aircraft that made its first flight in 1993.
KLM has a long history with Fokker, 97 years to be exact. Both are Dutch companies and KLM has operated many Fokkers throughout the years. KLM Cityhopper, a regional KLM subsidiary operated the last flight — KL1070 between London Heathrow (LHR) and Amsterdam (AMS) landed on October 28 at 6:44 pm. The single-aisle aircraft seated 80 people in a 3-2 layout with five rows of European business class and the last 11 in economy.
Take a look at this piece produced by KLM showing the last flight of a Dutch-made passenger aircraft, with a Dutchman at the controls. (The captain on the flight, also retiring, was a Brit, but the first officer who actually made the landing shown in the video is Dutch.)
Warner Rootliep, KLM Cityhopper’s Managing Director, told FlightGlobal that the Fokker 70s will find new homes with “operators in Asia, Europe and Latin America.”
KLM now flies Boeing 737s and Embraer RJ-190s between Amsterdam and London, and solely Embraer 170s and 190s for its Cityhopper service. You can redeem 8,500 Flying Blue miles plus $25 in taxes on the route. You can transfer American Express Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards and Citi ThankYou Points to FlyingBlue.
Image by Flickr/Nicky Boogaard.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.